Charlie XXIV

"I-I think I'm getting feelings for you."

After I said those words, a heavy silence fell over us. I kept my eyes glued to his face, watching as a series of emotion filtered across. I wanted to take back what I'd said. Now everything would be different.

"I know."

"I'm so sor-what?" I was shocked, to say the least at what Nick said. "You know?"

"Well, I kind of figured that's what was going on. I didn't know about the other stuff." He reached out to touch my shoulder. "But I still want to be your friend."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"I... but, what about my feelings?"

"They don't matter." Nick froze for a second, realising what he'd said and backtracked. "I mean, I'm not concerned with your feelings for me right now. I just want to make sure you're okay."

"Really?"

"Yes. The way I see it, these feelings are probably a result of some jealousy from being in your position and seeing Imogen and I still happy. You'll probably find it's just a crush that will go away over time."

"I hope so. I hate feeling like I want to do something that would jeopardize our friendship."

"As long as you don't actually do anything, I'm here to support you through this, okay?" I nodded, feeling a sense of relief wash over me knowing that I hadn't messed up my friendship with Nick.

--------------------

I was still at Nick's place an hour later when the front door burst open, and Abby came prancing in.

"Papa! I'm home now!" She called out, looking for Nick but coming to a halt when she saw me sat on the sofa. "Where's my papa?"

"He's in the bathroom," I told her, just as Imogen came through the door, laden down with bags.

"Abby, you forgot your bag again...oh. Hi, Charlie." A cold tone seeped into her voice when she spoke to me.

"Hi..." I was going to say more but Nick came back into the room, surprised to see his family there.

"Oh. You're home already. Um, Imogen, Charlie and I have sorted everything out."

"You're sure? I won't have to dry your tears after he leaves?" Imogen was deadly serious, but Nick cracked a small smile as he replied.

"There'll be no tears tonight. Promise."

"Abby, go put your things away for me," Imogen said to the little girl who nodded with wide eyes and took her bag from her mother before scurrying to her room. Once we heard her door click shut, Imogen put down the rest of what she was carrying and stepped closer to me, a hard look in her eyes. "If Nick ever tells me that you've hurt him again, I won't think twice about hurting you, got it?"

"Imogen." Nick groaned, grabbing onto his wife's shoulder, trying to stop her from looking so threatening but I just looked Imogen in the eye and nodded.

"I promise, I won't hurt him again," I said, hoping she believed me. There was silence in the room for a moment.

"Are you okay?" It was the last thing I'd expected Imogen to say, and I just blinked stupidly for a second.

"Oh, uh, I'll get there. I'm feeling a lot better now that I've talked to Nick." And just like that, the tension was gone from the room. Nick and Imogen sat together on one sofa, opposite me and we talked. A bit about my home situation but mostly about trivial things. Abby joined us after a while, insisting that she show Nick and I what she'd learned in her dance lesson.

It was nice to just spend time with them, talking and laughing until I had to go home and make dinner for Nathaniel and Alexis. Nick followed me out to my car, hugging me goodbye.

"Remember, I'm here for you. Whatever you need. Don't try and do this all on your own."

"I know. Thanks, Nick." He stood at the end of his driveway, watching as I drove off. As soon as he was out of sight, I felt my heart drop. He knew how I felt about him but instead of being angry with me, he was being so nice about it. How was I supposed to try and move on now?