Nick XV

With Valentine's Day around the corner, I was keeping a close eye on Charlie, knowing it was going to be his first without Ben. When I asked him about it, he assured me he was okay and just planning to spend the day with his kids. I didn't buy it.

"Hey, Imogen?" I went into the kitchen one evening after putting Abby into bed. She was leaning on the counter, flipping through an old cookbook and looked up when she heard me.

"Yeah?"

"I've been thinking..."

"That could be dangerous." She smirked at me and I tossed a nearby dish towel at her.

"Very funny. Anyway, I know we usually get Abby to stay with our parents for Valentine's Day so we can be together but I just thought that maybe this year we can invite Charlie and his kids."

"Why?" She had a pout on his face.

"Imogen, don't be insensitive. You know this'll be his first one alone in I don't even know how long."

"I know. I just want to be able to spend a day with you. Alone."

"Well, Valentine's Day is on a Saturday this year. So maybe we can have our own personal celebration on Sunday? Please, Imogen? I've been watching him recently and he says he's fine about the day but he's not."

"Okay. Anything for you, babe." With three steps, she was across the room and pulling me in for a tight embrace. "He's lucky to have a friend like you looking out for him."

"Thanks, Imogen." I grinned at her and she laughed quietly.

"You're adorable." When I pouted at her, she just caressed my cheek with one hand and smiled at me. "I love you."

"Mm." I mumbled, burying my face in her hair. She hugged me again, one hand on my back and the fingers of the other gently weaving through my hair. We stood there like that for a few minutes. "Want to cuddle on the sofa and watch a movie?"

"I was about to make banana bread for our lunches this week..."

"Please?" I pulled back and looked at her with puppy-dog eyes and she laughed, kissing me softly.

"Okay. But only cause I can't resist those eyes."

"I know."

"Oh really? So you do it on purpose? You and Abby are going to be the death of me with those eyes."

"Who do you think taught her to do it?" I teased. She smirked as I spun us around so I could lift her up onto the counter. She linked her ankles behind me and her arms around my neck as we kissed, her hands in my hair.

Her lips felt like fire as they trailed down to my collar bone, leaving a trail of bruises in her wake. I made a mental note to wear high collared shirts for the next few days at work. I didn't need a million questions from the teenagers I taught. When she pulled back to admire her work, I took my chance and used my hands to move her head where I wanted, attaching my lips to a spot on her neck, returning the favour of leaving a mark.

"This isn't really snuggling on the sofa." She pointed out through gasps and moans. I smiled and ignored her for a moment, keeping up with the task at hand. When I was happy with my work, I pulled back and looked at her.

"No. But this is more fun, isn't it?"

"Definitely." She grinned, pulling me a little closer. I kissed the tip of her nose and caressed her face with my hands.

"I love you."

"Love you too. Now, let's go snuggle on the sofa. I kinda really want some down time."

"Okay. One condition, though."

"Mm?"

"I'll carry you?" I pulled puppy-dog eyes at her again and she grinned.

"Always. If I could, I'd ask you to carry me everywhere, babe." I tightened my arms around him and she buried her face in my neck as I lifted her off the counter and carried her into the living room where I gently set her down on the sofa.

"Now, cuddle me." I demanded. She laughed and sat up so that I could sit behind her enough that she could curl up on my lap.

"What are we watching?" She asked quietly, as I ran my fingers through her hair slowly. I shrugged.

"A movie."

"That's descriptive." I could feel her laughter and smiled.

"You can choose. Just not one of those horrible slasher horror movies you like."

"Aww. But you can cuddle up to me during the scary bits." Se pouted when I looked down at him with a look that she clearly took to mean I was serious. "Okay. We'll watch something else. As long as you promise we watch one of them another night."

"Do I have to?"

"I'll go back to cooking in the kitchen..."

"Alright. Fine. We'll watch your stupid horror movie another night." It was a common little bicker between us that cropped up nearly every time we wanted to watch a movie but I'd long given in to being tortured by those horrible movies every now and then. It kept Imogen happy and I just tried to distract myself by burying my face against her shoulder and listening to her breathing instead of the sounds of the movie.

"Yay!" I laughed at her enthusiasm, waiting while she reached for the TV remote. She passed it to me and I quickly scanned through the movies we had saved.

"Perfect." I found Valentine's Day and pressed play. I tightened my arms around her and we settled down to watch the movie. It was one of our favourites to watch together since it had come into cinemas just after we started dating and it became a tradition for us to watch it when we could.

"Just perfect." She mumbled, snuggling into me.

--------------------

I fell asleep at some point during the movie, Imogen's gentle stroking of my arm soothing me to sleep. When I woke, the TV was back to playing regular scheduling and Imogen was not with me. I slowly got up and stretched, following the smells coming from the kitchen to find my wife busy cooking.

"What're you doing?"

"Making banana bread."

"Oh." I yawned widely, rubbing a hand over my eyes. "I'm going to head up to bed. You coming?"

"Yep. Just finishing up in here. I'll be up soon."

"Okay. Good night, Imogen." I crossed the room to hug her and she pressed a kiss to my cheek.

"'Night, babe. I'll see you tomorrow."