Nick XVIII

"Mummy, where are we going?" Imogen and I both looked down to where Abby was stood between us, holding both our hands.

"It's a surprise. You'll have to wait and see." She told our daughter. Abby pouted and pulled my hand.

"Papa, do you know where we're going?" I had to laugh and bent down to look her in the eye.

"I don't know either. Mummy won't tell me. But she said it's a special surprise for our last night in New York."

"Okay." She sighed and I stood back up, leaning over to kiss Imogen lightly. She'd told me that we were going to have a special dinner on our last night but she'd refused to tell me where despite all my begging.

"Don't worry, you two. You'll love it. I promise." Imogen assured us as the elevator doors slid open. We stepped out into the lobby of our hotel and made our way to the entrance where Imogen hailed a cab. "To the corner of West 34th and 5th, please." She spoke to the cab driver. I had no idea what was at the location she specified.

"You sound like a local." I teased, leaning into her side as the cab took off towards our destination.

"You don't like it?"

"I do like it. As long as it's only sometimes. I love you as you are."

"I love you too." She whispered in my ear.

"Papa, what is mummy saying?" Abby asked.

"She's saying that she loves us."

"No, the funny words she said."

"She's telling the driver where to take us, sweetie. I was teasing her because she said it the same way the people who live here do." She nodded but I could practically see the wheels turning in her head as she tried to figure something out. Beside me, Imogen suppressed a laugh and gave my hand a knowing squeeze.

"Papa?"

"Hm?" I looked over at her when she tugged on my sleeve again.

"Why do the people here talk different?" She asked me, innocence written over her face.

I smiled kindly at her "Because this is a different country. Lots of countries still speak English, like us, but they say some words a little bit different to us."

"Oh. So mummy can say some words different to me?"

"Only sometimes," Imogen spoke up, leaning forward to see her. "I only know a few words from here."

"Can you teach me, mummy?"

"Maybe one day. We'll see. But not now. We're here." While we'd been talking, I hadn't really noticed where we'd been going but I looked out now to find we were at the base of the Empire State Building.

"What are we doing here? I thought we were going to dinner." I was confused. Imogen just grinned and opened the door.

"We are. Up there." She climbed out and turned back to offer me her hand. I took it as I climbed out, bringing Abby with me.

"I completely forgot there are restaurants up there." I looked up in awe as Imogen paid the driver.

"Thank you."

"Papa, are we going up there again?" Abby pointed up to the top of the building in front of us and I nodded.

"We are. Mummy's taking us to a fancy restaurant up there." Imogen stepped closer to hug both of us then, pressing her lips to Abby's forehead before kissing me gently.

"Anything for my two most favourite people in the world." She promised. I grinned at her as she took my hand, leading me towards the entrance. Abby was staring upwards from her spot on my hip, her arms around my neck. It was going to be the perfect way to end our trip.

--------------------

We woke up ridiculously early the next day to catch our nine-thirty flight back home, much to Abby's disappointment.

"But I wanna stay here, mummy." I heard her whining to Imogen as I finished packing my bag. She was out in the main room of our hotel suite with Abby, making sure we'd collected all our belongings.

"I know, princess. And maybe one day we'll come back. But now we have to go home to see all our friends and family there."

"They could come to see us here," Abby suggested hopefully and I heard Imogen's quiet laugh.

"I don't think so. It costs a lot of money to come here."

"Oh."

"It's okay, baby girl. We'll have plenty more chances to come back here in the future." I assured her, going out into the room. Both she and Imogen looked up at the sound of my voice with a smile.

"You done yet?" Imogen asked me.

"Yep. Finally. I didn't realise just how much space all those souvenirs would take up."

"Mm. You wanted them all."

"I know. But think of the memories they'll bring." She nodded and came over to me, wrapping her arms around my waist and leaning up to kiss me.

"So many beautiful memories." She murmured against my lips. I could have lost myself in the moment if it wasn't for the fact that Abby chose that moment to be a typical six-year-old and tip her entire suitcase out onto the floor in protest to us leaving.

"Abby, why'd you do that?" I scolded. She folded her arms across her chest and shrugged.

"I don't wanna go home."

"You have to. Nana is picking us up from the airport."

"Don't care."

"Do you want a time-out, young lady?" Imogen asked her, already crossing the room to start re-packing the suitcase.

"No."

"Then stop arguing and help put your things back away, please."

"No."

"Abby, you don't say 'no' to mummy and me," I said. She just pouted at me. "Wipe the frown off your face please."

"Don't wanna go home." She insisted, stamping her foot on the floor. Imogen and I shared a glance before I crossed the room in a few strides to take her arm.

"Right, you're having a time-out, missy. You don't get to stamp your foot and throw a tantrum just 'cause you don't want to do something. Come sit in the corner." I guided her over to the corner, making her sit facing the wall. There were tears in her eyes but I knew they were just crocodile tears and she wasn't really hurt or upset. I watched her for a moment to make sure she was doing as she was told before joining Imogen to help her pack Abby's suitcase.

"She's tired." She whispered to me.

"I know," I whispered back, passing her one of Abby's books. "We all are."

"We can sleep properly when we get home."

"Mm. As much as I've loved it here, I'm looking forward to sleeping in our bed again." I sat back on my heels and yawned. Imogen grinned and leaned closer to kiss me.

"I'm thinking we won't do too much sleeping when we first get home."

"Ooh. I like the sound of that." I grinned and squeezed her hand. "I love you, Imogen."

"I love you, Nick."