Nick VIII

"Papa! Look what mummy got me!" Abby called out to me when she burst through the front door. I was in the kitchen, putting the final touches on a pork pie for dinner.

"What did she get you?" I asked her as she bounded into the kitchen, a plastic bag in her hands. I caught her and lifted her up to sit on the counter.

"Look!" She giggled, handing me the bag. Peering inside, I quickly recognised a skull and crossbones design on a piece of fabric. "It's a pirate costume papa. Mummy said I can wear it to go trick or treat!"

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow at Imogen who had finally come into the kitchen too, having not been as quick as Abby.

"Remember that Halloween party she's having at school? She wanted to dress up as a pirate and I figured either you or I could maybe take her trick or treating this year for a little bit."

"Oh yeah." I vaguely remembered the notice we'd gotten from Abby's school. "Well, I think you'll make a very scary pirate."

"Argh!" She cried, giggling and starting to wriggle off the counter. I helped her down so she didn't hurt herself, watching as she scampered off to somewhere in the house. Turning to Imogen, I grinned and allowed her to pull me into a hug.

"Where does she get all her energy from?" I asked with a laugh.

"I have no idea. But I wish I had even half of it."

"Mm. We'd get so much more done."

"Alone and together." She smirked at me, pulling back a little. I winked at her.

"Trying to suggest something?"

"Maybe." Leaning up to kiss me, she ran her hands over my back gently, tracing the marks she'd left a few nights ago. I shivered a little and kissed her deeper, bringing my own hands up to run my fingers through her hair.

"Tonight. Promise. After Abby's asleep." I muttered, finally pulling away and turning to finish making dinner.

"Tease." She whined but busied herself setting the table for the three of us. We worked in harmony together, hearing our daughter chattering away as she played with her toys.

--------------------

The next morning was Saturday. Imogen and I woke late, tangled together under the sheets and hearing the TV playing a random cartoon in the living room. Abby had probably been awake for a few hours already, patiently waiting for us to get up.

"Mm..." I groaned, curling into Imogen's side even more. "I don't want to get up. I want to stay in bed with you." I whispered, trailing light kisses across her shoulder and jaw.

"I want that too, babe. I really do. But we've got a very patient little girl out there who needs breakfast." She replied, hugging me tight once before letting go and sitting up. Her back was towards me and I reached out to touch it, gently dragging my fingernails down the exposed skin.

"One last kiss?" She turned back to look at me with a smile.

"Always." I propped myself up on one elbow as she leaned down and kissed me sweetly. "I love you, Nick."

"Love you too, Imogen." I snuggled back down into the bed and watched her as she made her way to our ensuite to shower.

I don't remember falling asleep again but I woke to Abby jumping on me and giggling delightedly. I blinked blearily as I heard Imogen laughing quietly too.

"Papa. Papa, wake up." Abby begged bouncing on my legs.

"'M awake." I mumbled, pulling her to lie beside me.