Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24

I'm beta?

I scrunched my nose in bewilderment.

"You're the same rank as Savina," Willow chuckled and flipped her wild, copper hair. Relishing in the thought.

Mike walked into the living room, fresh from his outdoor run. His upper body naked with abs and muscles dripping with sweat. He caught the last part of our conversation. "That's why Savina's skin is crawling right now, she probably can't stand the fact," he said. His laughter mingled with Willow's chuckles.

I tilted my head, feeling a ton of questions rise in me. "Could you tell I was beta?"

They all nodded.

"Yeah," Mike huffed, grabbing a bottle of cold water and cracking it open. "The moment you shifted into your wolf. Your scent was strong as fuck," he growled. "Even right now where you're sitting."

"But mostly to males," Willow rolled her eyes. "You're a new and unmated wolf, so your scent is concentrated." She crept closer and whispered into my ear. "Just try not to get horny around them, okay," she winked.

"What will happen if I do?" I jerked my head back.

She bit her bottom lip and smiled coyly as she walked away with her magazine tucked under her arm. "See you dorks later," she teased and rubbed the top of Mike's damp hair.

I didn't like the sound of that.

The afternoon was hot and lazy. Most of Brett's family with a few other pack members hung around at the lake. But I chose to stay behind in the empty house, reading a mystery romance up in the library. I wandered into the kitchen, feeling starved again, yet lunch was just an hour ago. Clearly, two chili hotdogs weren't enough. Rummaging through the fridge, I pulled out turkey slices and a jar of mayonnaise.

"So, you're beta, huh?" a squeaky voice stunned me at the table. I spun around and saw Poppy packing out eggs from a tray she brought in.

I sucked in a breath and nodded. "That's what they tell me, like I know the difference, anyway."

"That makes you my superior," she barked out a laugh. "Oh, how the tables have turned." She shook her head disapprovingly.

I shrugged. Suddenly, I just didn't give a shit what people thought of me any longer. "You're not different to me, Poppy. You a wolf and now I'm one, too." For a moment, my hands stopped unpacking the slices of turkey. Saying the words out loud sounded strange. It didn't feel real as I mindlessly slathered mayo on a slice of brown bread.

"We are not the same," Poppy stated, emphasizing on the not. "My wolf is not as big as yours. You could kill me in one bite."

I snapped my eyes at her. "Don't play like that. I can't control it," I said. "And I don't know if I ever will."

Poppy rested her hands on her hip with a feisty pout. "Well, you better control your wolf," she said. "I don't want to get nervous every time I have to walk into the kitchen."

In that moment, Mike entered and walked over to the fridge. "Calm your ass down, she's not going to attack you, Popsicles," he smirked.

Poppy rolled her eyes and ignored him, stomping out of the kitchen. Taking the first bite into my turkey sandwich, I glanced at Mike behind me, who stood against the fridge, and observed me from behind with a wicked smirk.

I frowned. "Can I help you with something, Mike?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said, moving beside me... a little too close. His arm brushed against my elbow, and I raised a brow. "I would love a bite of your sandwich. It looks tasty," he said as he licked his lips. "And lucky for you, I'm heavily in the mood for snacking."