Chapter 23

CHAPTER 23

My eyes fluttered open and flinched from the blinding morning rays. I woke up, not feeling tired at all, but rejuvenated as I crawled out from my little cave. The early sun warmed my body.

My body?

Yes! I was back to myself — my human form as my hands padded down my unclothed body. Instantly I grimaced at the fact of being stark-naked in the middle of the damn woods. I probably looked like a crazy, wild woman. My long curly hair matted and tangled with bits of dried leaves dangling from the strands. My skin splattered with mud and dirt.

Fuck me!

Flashes of last night flooded my brain while I wandered back towards the pack grounds, heading east, my bearings steadily returning. Strolling in the forest, I now gazed it in a new light. Suddenly, my eyes sharpened in focus. I could see each shade of individual leaves on the trees. Every single petal from flowers in vivid color of fuchsia and amethyst. It was beautiful yet frightening. 

My ears twitched, and I heard a symphony of sounds that were once distant whispers to me. A flap of wings caught my attention. I darted my head to the sky, spotting a fleeting robin flying in a distance. My eyes detailing the feathers of its dull reddish breast. I could hear fucking everything. The rustle of leaves through the light breeze, even the little thump of a heartbeat from a mouse several steps away.

I stopped in my tracks and slapped both my hands to my ears, covering it. It was all too overwhelming.

"Fuck," I whispered. How could anyone get used to this? It would drive me fucking insane!

Picking up my pace, I ran from the kaleidoscope of senses assaulting me from the forest. My nose twitched, and I inhaled deeply the earthy scents of the damp soil and the sweet wildflowers in bloom, but the only scent that stuck out was eggs! Fresh scrambled eggs mixed with butter and pepper wafting from a distance.

I was close to the Moon Stone pack ground, and it was breakfast time. I felt my legs turn into a sprint and in no time, the pack ground came into view. Coming to a halt, I stood at the edge of the forest, I couldn't just walk in there naked. My hands covered my breasts and between my legs, and I strained my eyes to find a plan. Spotting a washing line filled with clothes, I rushed to the cabin at the corner, where the clothes hung out to dry. Two pack wolves instantly looked at me running shamefully over to the cabin, one teenage male laughed, pointing in my direction.

But I made it and turned the corner before I captured further attention. "Shit," I mouthed feeling mortified as fuck. Reaching out to the washing line, my fingers grabbed a grey tank top and a pair of green shorts, and I hurriedly slipped them on and jogged over to the main house.

It was time to face the music as I picked at my elbow in anxiousness. Stepping through the front door quietly, I could hear the chatter from the breakfast table. The wooden floorboards were cool beneath my bare and dirty feet as I slowly entered the dining room.

Everyone stopped chewing on their food, and all eyes turned to me. I sucked in a breath, looking at the twins, Willow, Brett, and Alice. Savina scowled and went back to eating her yogurt while Faye smiled softly, drinking her coffee.

I swallowed hard during the long and hard pause with bated breath, feeling self-conscience as hell. Alice instantly jerked a smile and jumped up, she leapt forward but stopped, her smile faltering. I could suddenly sense her hesitation to come to me. I flinched and darted my eyes to the ground. Was I really such a monster now, even to my best friend? My eyes frowned, shame washing over me as my hands hugged my waist.