PART I: Prologue

PROLOGUE

3 weeks earlier in Sundown pack territory, Alaska

The moon hung high in inky black sky, casting an ethereal glow over the secluded clearing nestled deep within the Alaskan forest. The snow dropped faintly, coating my fur. A faint rustling of leaves and a crisp chill in the air foretold the arrival of an extraordinary event about to unfold. My wolf stood poised, our body trembling with anticipation and a primal energy coursed through my veins. The metallic taste of blood lingered in my mouth, the blood of the rustic brown wolf, named Elijah. My sharp canines bit into his muscled left thigh, making him howl in agony. The painful sound made my wolf strong.

Powerful.

Crimson blood and wolf's fur splattered on the icy ground's surface.

It was beast against beast, as we battled for dominance. On one side I stood, a massive creature with fur as grey as dark smoke, and eyes that glowed with an amber fire. My muscles rippled beneath my taut, matted fur, emanating strength and dominance. Elijah was a seasoned warrior, revered among his pack, and his reputation as an undefeated beta preceded him. We bit, lunged, pierced teeth into flesh for the past twenty minutes. My wolf was stronger and larger than the Sundown pack's second eldest. 

Elijah's wolf shook off the pain, staggering he charged towards me once more. I bared my sharp teeth, growling, spurring him on. He lunged forward, teeth unlocked, ready to bite — tear, sink his canines into my side. But I dodged him to the right, slamming him hard against the floor. He went down with a huge THUD!

I pinned his neck down with my left paw, bolting him in place. Elijah pawed, scratching at me, snapping his teeth, trying to regain some control. But my wolf wouldn't have any. I growled loudly and simmered into a deathly tremor, making my stand known for him to submit. My canine's inches away from his neck, exposed for me.

To sink.

To rip.

To kill!

I had to reel my wolf back in not to let our instincts take over.

The roaring cheers echoed around us, beckoning me to splatter blood and tear flesh. Fuck knows, my dark grey wolf wanted to.

We were surrounded by different pack males, only of alpha blood. All in their human form, howling and whistling for action to quench their thirst for blood. It's been three weeks of hard and grueling training that we did every year. This year, the Sundown pack's turn to host the emerging Alpha's and Beta's in the northwestern territories.

The fights for dominance were fierce and violent. Each alpha-blood line had to partake in. It gave us fighting skills and battle tactics to keep our titles in our respective packs, with half rivalling for Beta if we couldn't. Alphas had to be hard, controlled and discipline for battles and combat. They were the protectors and leaders of their pack, with a lot of wolves to take care of. Even though I had a strong elder brother. You had to be always at your peak. He had to rely on me.

It was my turn to fight against a worthy opponent.

Elijah struggled as much as he could, but he took a hard beating with blood oozing from his mouth. I smelled the rancid metal of blood in my nose, the raw open skin torn. My wolf came closer, dripping spit from its gums. Elijah was fearless, but he knew when he was beaten. He finally exposed his neck to me, showing submission.

Pleased with this, I released him from my grip.

The fight ended.

I dominated!

Howling from all wolves boomed around me. This separated us from the humans. The raw sound was animalistic and feral. The back of my wolf's grey fur stood on edge, feeding our pride as it swelled up. The females were cheering too, a few I recognized I had sex with while training.

My girl flashed in my mind for a split second. How would a human take to all of this? Would she understand when I eventually tell her... show her my untamed world.

The wolves continued to thunder around me.

It felt fucking awesome!

My wolf felt powerful, unstoppable. The years of training with my brothers and father took effect, and I was in my prime.

A loud piercing howl surged from my lungs into the dark frozen moonlit sky. As if to say,

I am Brett Winters.

Second eldest son of Alpha Lincoln.

And, second in line, to become Alpha of the Moon Stone Pack.