Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Whether it's the Kingdom of Vic or the Andean Empire, Omegas make up a very small percentage in the pyramid of power.

The reason for this is quite simple—

Omegas are inherently disadvantaged in terms of lineage, and they have a deep-seated dependency on Alphas.

Not to mention Alphas who have marked them.

After marking, Alphas can intimately sense their Omega's thoughts, and they have the ability to influence their Omega, both in speech and behavior.

Just like now.

Zhao Zhufu stared blankly at Song Shi, who was looking up at her with half-opened eyes, a gaze lacking focus. He seemed to have lost his vitality, yet Zhao Zhufu could feel strong emotions swirling around her.

It was despair, sadness, an overwhelming flood of negative emotions.

It took her several seconds to suddenly realize—

Perhaps, from the very beginning, Song Shi didn't trust her.

They had become people who understood each other best many, many years ago.

Since Zhao Zhufu could deduce the cause-and-effect logic of his actions from his microexpressions and facial expressions, Song Shi, who was even more skilled than her, could sense from her subtle movements or many other things—

She didn't trust him.

Zhao Zhufu opened her mouth but soon remembered how, just moments ago, he had shown a subconscious desire for her to directly mark him, even hesitating to breathe.

She licked her lips and squatted down, meeting his gaze.

Her voice, tinged with a hint of hoarseness, slowly swept across his forehead, eyes, and finally rested on his chin as she lowered her tone:

"Since you know I don't trust you, were those assurances earlier—like finding the true murderer of my killing, helping me with strategy—all just a show for me to see?"

She wasn't entirely sure how much he could hear in this state, but the moment her words fell, Zhao Zhufu noticed Song Shi's entire demeanor tensing up once again.

The negative emotional state around her thickened, and for a moment, Zhao Zhufu felt like she couldn't breathe.

She saw Song Shi give her a bleak smile and said, "No, everything I told you was true. I have never, I have never lied to you."

He repeated it, his voice devout, like reciting a prayer, "I didn't kill you, I never wanted to kill you."

Zhao Zhufu blinked, sensing the emotions around her.

The intense despair from him had slowly faded, leaving behind a silent calmness, yet it didn't carry a hint of the guilt after a lie or the smugness after a scheme had succeeded.

Zhao Zhufu suddenly felt her mouth dry. She opened and closed her mouth in vain, unable to find any words. In the end, she could only palely confirm the one answer placed before her:

Song Shi hadn't lied. In her two lifetimes, totaling over twenty years of existence, this was the first time Zhao Zhufu had felt so confused and lost.

She was the beloved daughter of the heavens, sheltered like a hothouse flower since childhood. Even when she had fallen from grace, she had never experienced a situation where she felt powerless.

Now, she looked at the young man who persisted in staring at her, and she was overwhelmed by a sense of helplessness.

The male Omega's eyes remained wide open, with a circle of red forming around them. Suddenly, without any warning, he lowered his head.