Ch. 24: R̴e̵s̴u̸r̴r̷e̸c̸t̸i̵o̶n̶ ̵

Wally marched down the hallway of the building. People in lockdown peaked out of their office windows to see their very upset boss pass by. Behind him were two armed guards dressed head to toe in gear. He turned the corner to Joy's office. The lights were out and the door was closed, but that didn't stop him.

"Dr. Joy," Wally approached the door, slamming his fist against it. "Open up, now."

There was silence, and Wally was not going to wait for him to answer. Holding the handle he shoved his shoulder into the door several times before breaking inside. He turned on the lights, the guards then coming up behind him and aiming their guns at the empty office chair.

Wally stomped over to his seat and checked under it. Joy was gone, as it seemed.

"You two," He faced the guards, "Keep the building on lock down, alert the team and do a strip search of the entire building. Hopefully that bastard is stuck in here."

"Yes, sir." They spoke at the same time before leaving.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

(Y/n) sat in their office. The read the letter they had found from Joy over and over and over again.

Dear (Y/n),
This isn't how I wanted us to part ways, and I'm sure by now the entire factory is on lock down. I had this planned out for a while and waited a while before I found it best. I can no longer be a part of this program and this factory. I am not leaving because of you, in fact, you are the soul reason why I stayed. In the envelope  I have left you everything you need to know, and I suggest you look at it sooner rather than later.

Please, don't come looking for me. I am far far away, safe, and happy. I can only wish you get out while you still can.

Love, Dr. Joy.

(Y/n) pulled out the little USB that was inside the envelope. She observed it felling a number of emotions. What did he mean "left you everything you need to know"? Whatever it was, it was important.

(Y/n) received a knock on her office door, she quickly hid the letter and the USB in her drawer.

"Come in!" She called out.

In walked Wally who immediately sat on the couch inside and sprawled himself out in a fit of defeat, almost.

"Was Joy in his office?" She stood up from her desk and approached the couch, crossing her arms.

He laid back and placed an arm over his eyes, "No, the guards are searching the building."

"Not that I don't enjoy your company but — you're usually very hands on with things like this." She sat on the edge near his head looking down at him.

"I blew out my shoulder."

"What?" (Y/n) pinched the bridge of her nose, "Doing what?"

"Breaking into Joy's office. He wasn't there."

"Did he leave anything behind?"

"A middle finger on his computer screen, a big 'Fuck You' to me, as well as deleting all the files on the computer."

(Y/n)'s eye widened, "Please tell me we have a backup somewhere?"

"We do, somewhere, it's a matter of finding it. Terribly enough it might be in paper formate so they'd have to be scanned back in." He sighed, "He's going to rat us out, I know it."

"No," (Y/n) began, "I don't think he will. If he left he probably just wanted out."

Wally paused in thought over her words. You typically didn't just leave this type of job, it was extremely difficult to do, he made sure of it. As he laid with his arm over his eyes (Y/n) took his hand and held it.