Ch.18: Ashes to Ashes

(TW: Mild Gore)

"(Y/n), hello?" Dr. Joy waved his hand in front of her face. "Are you there?"

"Huh? Sorry, just in thought."

He then handed her a USB card, "Here, it's the latest results from your scans."

"Thank you, I'll look at them tonight."

"I have something I'd like to add to your daily routine. Your mobility is low to none as you spend much of your time in the office. I'd like you to start exorcising yourself and get accustomed to your newly found strength."

(Y/n) paused, "You want me to use the gym here?"

"Have you never used it?"

"People actually go to the gym?"

Joy laughed a bit, "Many of the staff, including myself, go to the gym here. Wally may be awful in my eyes but the recreational aspect of the factory is exceptional, I will admit."

"What do I have to do at the gym?"

"Work out? Exorcise in some manner. It'll be a good way to test how much your body has changed." He then smirked at her, looking into her eyes, "You don't seem too thrilled."

"You know I had an F in P.E.?"

Moving anymore than she had to wasn't something (Y/n) was excited about. She enjoyed her simple life of working on her computer and roaming the building when needed. It had been years since she stepped foot into the recreational center though hearing about it in passing multiple times.

Upon entering it wasn't full by any means, if anything mostly empty. Workers had different shifts to begin with which meant it was occupied at different times throughout the day.

(Y/n) looked around at the wide range of equipment around the area from weight lifting to running to courts for multiple sports. The area was large, which was needed as many never left the factory.

The skylights from the ceiling made the area almost blinding as it was lit up mostly by that.

Feeling a bit shy she walked in through the area clutching her phone to herself. Her best start would be on the treadmill. Walking didn't exert as much as weight lifting or playing a game of basketball would.

After putting her hair up she began walking along the machine, listening to music while doing so as a distraction. That didn't help as Wally, of course, crossed her thoughts.

She thought back to finding him at his daughter's grave, the way he held her the moment he saw her, the closeness she felt.

(Y/n) increased the speed to a light jog.

The way he looked into her eyes, relieved she didn't leave was saddening, so desperate to have her with him.

(Y/n) increased the speed to a run.

She felt loved at that moment, wanted, needed. The factory was home, Wally was home to her, and regardless of what happened, she couldn't leave her home.

"(Y/n), what are you doing here?"

Her head snapped to the side seeing Wally, and instantly lost her footing, falling.

He was quick, grabbing her entire body before it hit the treadmill.

"That was close," The scientist set her down.

"Why did you sneak up on me like that, I almost —" It was only then she realized he was at the gym as well as he wore a cut-off shirt and shorts. "—you come here?"