Ch.7: For Worse

"(Y/n), what a lovely surprise," Dr. Joy folded his hands together on his desk. "You're not due here for another week."

"I know, I might have a new symptom." She spoke with a hint nervousness on her tone.

"Alright, take a seat, talk to me."

She sat down in front of his desk her eyes on the ground. She began explaining what happened with the dissection on the corpse the other day and throwing up after.

"I've done many of these. Too many of these experiments. I thought I was numb to it and I just threw up." She paused, "I don't know what's wrong with me anymore."

"You did mention it looked like your late mother, no?" He paused, "I thought you grew up in an orphanage?"

"Because she died. She died in a fire when I was 5. My father passed away before I was born. I didn't have anyone else that's how I ended up there."

"I'm...so sorry to hear that I didn't know."

"My issue is I've never had a reaction like this before. Is this stupid tumor pressing on like — I don't know whatever is responsible for that?"

Joy took a moment to respond, "I don't believe so from it's location, but as much as we know about the brain we know so little still. Do you ever think you've been here maybe... too long?"

"No."

"Hear me out." He placed his hands down. "This business isn't for the weak minded, not to say you are, as you've proven you aren't, but after a while, after all the death, the gore, the moral flying out the window, the mind can only handle so much."

Her eyes glared at him, "I'm not going to quit if that's what you're telling me to do."

"I'm not telling you to quit, I'm asking you to reflect. This is the nature of our business."

(Y/n) nodded at him and took a breath, "I can reflect on it."

"Good, if you have anymore issues feel free to come see me, alright?"

OoOoOoOoOoO

Wally was gone for most of the day as he was meeting yet again with his divorce lawyer. She waited patiently for his return knowing exactly the mood he'd be in. To help ease the transition (Y/n) made him a cup of coffee placing it into his room for his arrival.

As she was about to leave his door slammed open, Wally storming inside. He whipped his coat of and threw it on the couch. She didn't say a word, simply waiting for the tantrum.

"Why are you in my office?" His eyes narrowed on her, looking for a reason to be mad it seemed.

"I brought you coffee for your return. I figured you'd need it."

He approached her, his eyes tearing her apart. (Y/n) was very good at holding her composure as her face remained neutral, unreadable. She wasn't scared of him, never was.

He walked past her and sat down at his desk pulling in his chair.

"While you're here, take a seat, we need to have a chat."

This was it, the conversation she had been dreading. After taking a deep breath (Y/n) sat down in the chair in front of his desk remaining neutral expression.

Wally took a sip of his coffee before looking at her, his eyes narrowing on her.

"When were you going to tell me you had a tumor?"

She waited a moment before answering, "I didn't see it as your business, but that raises the question, how did you find out?"

"It doesn't matter how I found out, what matters is—"