43

Roku: Aang _, it's time you learned my history with Fire Lord Sozin. You need to understand how the war began, if you want to know how to end it. Meet me on my home island on the day of the summer solstice.

(The dream changes, and an island in the Fire Nation with two volcanoes is now shown.

Aang, asleep on Appa. He rolls over onto his side.)

Aang/_: (talking in their sleep) Okay, Roku.

a cloud filled sky. A very large cloud moves quickly forward. Cut to the inside of the curious cloud. Appa and Aang are shown inside the cloud. Aang, positioned on the neck of Appa, bends the elements around Appa to create a cloud of camouflage. His arms move quickly around his body in a circular motion. Katara and Sokka look over Appa's saddle for a better look. The island is unnervingly desolate.)

Aang: There it is. That's Roku's home.

Katara: (confused) But there's nothing here.

(Toph jumps from Appa's saddle. Once her feet hit the ground, she solemnly tells Katara and the gang what she can see with her unique vision.)

(_ goes on the ground, knees bent her right palm flat on the ground)

_: yes there is.

Toph: (somberly) An entire village. Hundreds of houses. (A strong breeze moves a layer of ash along the ground, brushing past their feet.) All completely buried in ash.

aang and _ facing the ocean which is ablaze in gold and orange as the sunsets. they are both meditating. His arrows glow, and her eyes glow and they are shown sitting atop a mountain top in an alternate reality, possibly the Spirit World. they are surrounded by an ocean of clouds. Roku's dragon flies into view. He flies in behind Aang and _ , who are now standing. Roku smiles gently, and a breeze tussles his white hair and beard.

Roku: Come, _ Aang. (The three fly off over the clouds)

Aang: (curious) Where are we going?

Roku: (smiling) To visit my past. Our shared past. including a little bit of your _.

(Aang and _ smile, and the three fly out of the shot. Cut to the chamber where Zuko sits, reading fervently. While Zuko reads, Fire Lord Sozin's voice is heard. He narrates the following story.)

Sozin: (narrates) As I feel my own life dimming, I can't help but think of a time when everything was so much brighter. (The scene cuts, and we see a lush and green Fire Nation Courtyard. Two young firebenders are sparing. The young men exchange fire blasts in an impressive display of firebending. The two young men are Sozin and Roku.) I remember my friend.

(While they spar, Sozin notices that Roku's feet are too close to a tree root. Sozin smiles, and uses this to his advantage. He steps up his attack to drive Roku back, causing Roku to trip and fall back. As Roku falls, Sozin grabs Roku by the shirt to keep him from falling. While he holds him, he raises his hand as if to fire blast, but instead he lets Roku fall to the ground.)

Sozin: (smiling) Looks like I win again, Roku. (Sozin extends his hand to help Roku to his feet.)

Roku: Are you kidding? (Raises eyebrows, and takes Sozin's hand.) The tree root did all the work. (Roku gets back on his feet, and pats Sozin on the shoulder to praise his clever maneuver.) Nice one, Sozin. (The two young men walk off while Roku _ and Aang watch.)

Aang: (surprised) You were friends with Fire Lord Sozin?!

_: well it makes sence, there was a time he was a good guy

Roku: Yes. Back then, he was just Prince Sozin, and he was my best friend.

(Roku and Sozin leave the courtyard. A lovely young air Nation woman enters the scene. As she walks past the friends, Roku stares at her and blushes. Sozin notices.)