4. The Proposition

Start from the beginning

The Bacchus Bar remained stagnant. Patrons spoke in hushed tones, glancing over to Luke and the corpse lying a few feet next to him. Death was common in their world, no one usually batted an eye at corpses or guns.

So Percy figured that it was Luke's presence that was the cause of unease. He was the first and only centurion with two barracks under his command.

Percy couldn't imagine the amount of bloodshed that must have gotten him that position. He looked like an evil male model, showing off what the fashionable college-age villain was wearing to Harvard this year

Luke let go of Percy's hand, nodding in approval, "Smart kid."

He gestured something to his men, the alive ones, and stalked out of the bar, motioning Percy to follow.

"You can start now," he said.

It was not a question, but Percy nodded anyway.

They passed through an alley, and faint whispers of music spread across its stale air. There was a club parallel to them, right behind the Bacchus Bar.

It made the alley a perfect place for crime to fester. The music was loud enough to mask conversations and the stench of alcohol and garbage kept the normal people away.

Luke faced Percy. He seemed to hesitate for a second, swallowing hard, "Percy...Annie...Annabeth is my whole world. She is the only family I have left. I need you to keep her safe-"his voice was sincere, but not soft.

"-I know you helped her yesterday, that's why I chose you for this. She's stubborn at times, but as her bodyguard, it's your job to make sure she doesn't try to do anything stupid. If she's ever in danger, it's your job to protect her. Or die trying-"
Luke paused, taking on a hard edge, "If anything happens to her, it will not end well for you. Rest assured, I will hunt you myself. Am I clear?"

"Crystal," Percy nodded. Regret already crept through him. What had he gotten himself into?

"Good."

———

Percy gaped at the mansion

Percy gaped at the mansion. It made Octavian's estate look like dog-shit in comparison. This one was grand, not ornate. It was large, rectangular, with pathways entwining around a massive fountain.
Streams of people poured in and out of the building.

The property was surrounded by massive gardens, thick with foliage to cover any unlawful bodies buried under its leaves. Miniature rooms were scattered around the main mansion, for staff and titans alike.

Luke stalked up the stairs, Percy in tow. People stilled as he passed by them, rushing to look busy.

The interior of the mansion was fairly simple. Rows of rooms all appeared the same, probably to consider any outsiders. There were not many decorations around, simply a few sofas or cupboards. A stark contrast to its exterior.