Chapter Eight | Wondering

Jake's pov:
It's been two days since Hailey's told me that she needed some time to think about everything. I hate to admit it, but I can't help and worry that Hailey might be planning to reject me after all. Somehow I feel like I messed things up and I'm going to lose her all over again.

I've been trying everything to subtly show my feelings but still making sure that she doesn't feel pressured or uncomfortable. I've been holding the door for Hailey, complimenting her, and offering any gum or snacks that I have. That's just a few things that I'm doing for her, am I doing too much though?

After everything that I've done and said to Hailey and to the music club, I don't even deserve their respect and I definitely don't merit Hailey's affection. This morning felt different though, maybe the weather was starting to get warmer, or Hailey's made up her mind about what I asked her.

The two of us haven't been speaking that much lately either, of course we're still friends but our relationship has been quite distant lately. It seems like the club is starting to notice it too, but they haven't said anything about it yet.

After I realized my feelings for Hailey though, I'm starting to notice small details about her that I haven't noticed before. For example, whenever Hailey laughs she always covers her mouth and she traces stars on her sleeves in pencil when she's bored.

Also, most of the time Hailey's so calm, she keeps everyone afloat and does it so effortlessly. Hailey isn't exactly serene when we're around each other though, it's almost like she's shy whenever she's with me. I could possibly be creeping her out though, which is something I would never want to do.

I can't help but wonder if she's really starting to like me back though. What's even more frustrating for me is that I can't stop thinking about Hailey either, she single-handedly takes up all of my thoughts. Every time I see her, I find myself getting more enchanted by her.

The longer I wait for her response, the more anxious I feel. I'm starting to think that I might have scared her away or that she's found someone else. But I can't let these doubts take over. I still have hope that everything will work out in the end, and that Hailey will see that I really do care about her and that I want to be with her.

This morning as I wait for the bus to arrive to take me to school, I get a text from someone, Hailey! Maybe she's finally decided that she likes me back, my heart races as I pull up to see her text message.

Morning!!! Are u coming to school today?

good morning :) i'll be there today, why?

Just wondering, see u at rehearsal!

It was a little disappointing to say the least, but she seems happy to see me in school today. Our conversation wasn't the most enthralling though, I guess we even have tension through text.

Eventually, I get on the bus and arrive at school with good intentions for the day. However, as I walk up to the building, I feel a sense of concern overtake me. I don't know how today is going to go and I'm nervous about seeing Hailey again.

I quickly notice Hailey talking to Sean by her locker. They both immediately spot me and look happy to see me, especially Hailey. It was almost like everything was back to normal with us again, we're not trying to avoid each other or have some sort of unresolved tension.

I walk up to Hailey's locker and join in on her and Sean's conversation, "Hey guys, what's up?"

Sean waves and says, "Morning Jake, we were just talking about how Hailey canceled rehearsals today."

"You canceled rehearsals today?" I ask Hailey, very disappointed at her recent cancellation. She isn't the type of person to change her schedule, specifically when it comes to rehearsals.

Hailey turns to fully face me, and responds "I figured we all needed a break, and I had to cancel it due to personal reasons."

I didn't want to push Hailey any further, so I just nodded in response to her reasoning. I'm slightly worried about what she might be going through, but I know that she likely wouldn't appreciate me prying into her personal life.

So I just try to put on a happy face and continue on with the conversation, the three of us talk about other subjects for a while in the hallway. Sean's in between Hailey and I, which I wasn't too fond of.

I also wonder why Hailey wanted to know if I was going to school today if she was just going to cancel rehearsals. Maybe she was hoping to see me again today? As Sean's between us, I can't help but feel a bit distant from Hailey. I want to be closer to her, but our awkwardness around each other makes it difficult, and Sean's also standing in between us.

Sean seems to pick up on the tension too, and he looks at me gives me a sympathetic look. I smile back at him, grateful that he appears to understand what's going on with Hailey and I.

Today, I only had two classes with Hailey which were chemistry and geography. Most of the time we walk together to and from both classes, but lately we've been going separate ways. I just hope that we actually have gone back to normal because I really miss walking with her.

As we continue, Sean begins saying, "My calculus class is right here, I'll see you guys later!" Sean says before leaving Hailey and I alone together in the crowded hallway. We both wave goodbye, and continue walking to our class.

"I know I already asked you this, but why did you want to know if I was coming to school today?" I ask Hailey the question that I've wondered for a while now. "I know you enjoy my company, but were you that eager to see me today?"

Hailey rolls her eyes and giggles, "Don't flatter yourself, Sterling. I was just curious, plus you're the only person I tolerate in chemistry."

"Sure princess, I totally believe that."

I'm exceptionally glad that we can be like this again. We made our way to chemistry, which we subsequently had with Drew of all people. After everything that went down, Drew and I immediately switched lab partners. Now Hailey's my partner even after the period of time when we didn't talk to one another. Let's just say that it's been a very awkward week.

Today's class was spent by almost blowing up the classroom, and laughing for the entire period because of how clueless Hailey and I were.

Before I knew it, it was the end of the school day. This has been one of best days I've had in a while because I got to spend some of it with Hailey.

I quickly made my way out of Rosemeadow High and to the bus yet again to go home. Unexpectedly, I received another text from Hailey, this time I wasn't predicting her to say anything too drastic.

Hey are you home rn?

im about to be, what do you need?

I think I left my hair clip at your place from the other night

oh ok. i can drop it off at your house if i find it

No that's okay, I'll just come and get it

k ill be waiting princess ;)

I figured that I would be home in time before Hailey came over, and as I came back to my house Hailey wasn't in sight just yet.

After about five minutes, I got a knock on my door. I instantly opened it, and saw Hailey standing in front of me. Before I could greet her or say anything else, Hailey gently pressed her lips against mine for a quick kiss. I'm astonished by the sudden affection, but found myself melting in Hailey's presence.

Now I finally know that our feelings are mutual, and I feel a rush of emotions as I embrace Hailey in my arms. At that moment, all of my worries and insecurities melt away, and it feels like Hailey's the only person in the world right now.

Authors note: There's still one more chapter of this fanfic, so stay tuned! TYSM FOR READING 🩷🩷