Chapter Seven | Everything I Wish I Wasn't

Jake's pov:
    I'm still sitting on my bed after Hailey leaves, it feels like I'm bound to it in a sort of way. There's no point in going anywhere else though. I should've just said something to her, or fought for her to stay. Hailey has no idea how much she means to me, cause I never showed her until tonight.

It's too soon to text the club, or Hailey especially. I just became friends with them again, and it's going to be hard to even look at Hailey tomorrow without feeling some sort of guilt.

The next morning, I woke up from a long and restless night which was mostly spent thinking about Hailey. Today's going to be even longer for me though. I was foreboding going to school today, more specifically going to rehearsals today.

As the morning ensues, I made my way into the school building to see someone unexpected, Drew. I haven't seen him since the competition, and he isn't looking too good. I quickly walked past him in the hallway as Drew's focus remained on the ground. He didn't seem to notice me, or he'd decided to ignore me.

Everything that's happened with him is too surreal and confusing for me. I'm not even sure if we'll ever be friends again, or speak to one another after what happened. All I know for sure is that we'll never be the same way we used to be.

I finally spotted Hailey and Zander ahead of me in the hallway and they're talking about something, hopefully not about what happened last night. Luckily, all three of us are all heading to the music room so I have the chance to talk to them. I still felt a strong sense of dread approaching me, for all I know they think that I'm an idiot who made Hailey uncomfortable by making romantic passes at her.

Eventually, I decided to put on a brave face and approach them, but it felt like I was crumbling inside. Seeing Hailey is harder than I thought it would be, yet I know I have to make things right.

I walk up to them, and tap them both on the shoulder, they quickly notice the touch and turn around to face me. Hailey looked a bit startled while Zander looked extremely frustrated, It's pretty safe to say that Zander knows what happened.

"Hey guys." I say, trying to keep my voice steady, but there's still a hint of anxiety as I spoke.

"Hi Jake." Zander says, his voice stern and serious, "I think we need to talk."

Suddenly, Zander grabs me by the ear and drags me inside the club room and closes the door, leaving Hailey waiting outside. This is not going to work out in my favor, I'm lucky if I make it out of here alive.

"Ouch, can you let go of my ear please?" I ask Zander, while in an enormous amount of pain.

Zander finally releases his grasp of my ear, and takes a deep sigh before asking me, "What were you even thinking last night?" He questions, in a very aggravated way. "Hailey could've been kidnapped, or killed if I hadn't picked her up!"

I know that Zander isn't too fond of me, but he thinks that I would do that to Hailey? I wonder what she told Zander to make him believe that I would do something that extreme.

"Zander, I never tried to hurt Hailey, more importantly didn't try to kill her either!" I exclaim, in a defensive tone.

"I'm not talking about you, when Hailey walked home alone last night something could've happened to her."

"Wait, Hailey walked alone by herself last night from my house? Is she alright?"

"She's fine, for the most part. Still there's something else we need to talk about."

"Did Hailey tell you about how I kind of confessed to her?" I ask, dreading his response.

"Yeah she did, Hailey told me everything." Zander says in a tranquil tone.