Chapter Three | All I've Ever Wanted

Jakes pov:
After rehearsal, the rest of the school day went by pretty fast. But now I'm stuck in detention like I've been for the past week. Time goes by painfully slowly in detention, but at least by tonight I'll have a girlfriend, hopefully.

Since Monday, Daisy and I have been walking out of detention together before one of Daisy's moms comes to pick her up. It'll be the perfect time to ask her out because we'll be alone together. It isn't the most romantic gesture, but I hope that Daisy will love it either way.

There's about five more minutes left of detention, and this time in particular has gone by the slowest. All I can think about is Daisy, I've liked her for years and now I've finally mustered up the courage to ask her out. I'm pretty confident that she'll say yes, she was willing to give up her head girl title for me, and I know how much she honored that role.

Our teacher made sure that Daisy and I were far apart in detention, so I can't even be close to her while I'm stuck here for an entire period.

After endless minutes of staring at the clock on the wall, detention finally ends and now it's time to begin my plan to ask Daisy out.

Daisy and I head out of Rosemeadow high and begin our walk home. We fall into a comfortable silence, Daisy seemed to be lost in her own thoughts and it looked like she was focusing on something else.

I just can't wait anymore, It's time to ask her out.
I cleared my throat and began speaking. "Hey Daisy, can I talk to you about something?"

Daisy looked up at me, looking a little confused but willing to hear what I have to say. "Of course, Jake! What is it?" Daisy asks, now focusing solely on me.

I take a deep breath and begin speaking. "There's something that I've really been wanting to ask you for some time. I'm not sure how you'll respond to it, but it has to be said."

Daisy's eyes widened, now figuring out what I want to tell her. Maybe that means that she's been waiting for me to ask her this.

"I know that we've been friends for a while now, and you're the best person that I know and.."

Before I could finish, Daisy interrupts me. "Jake, I know what you're going to say and I can't let you do this."

What's she saying about 'not letting me do this'? "What do you mean?" I ask, still shocked about what I just heard.

"What I'm saying Jake is that I don't think you like me. I'm pretty sure that you like someone else." Daisy says profoundly.

After hearing Daisy's words, my heart dropped. I've been pining over Daisy for years, and now she's suggesting that I don't even like her. Who else would I even like?

"Jake, I think that you and Hailey would make an excellent couple." Daisy says in an oddly calm tone.

I look at Daisy with confusion. I can't even believe what she's suggesting right now.

"Daisy, what are you talking about?" I ask. "Hailey and I are just friends. We don't have feelings for each other. I like you, not Hailey."

I never would've imagined in a million years that Daisy would tell me that I'm meant to be with Hailey instead of her.

Daisy looks at me and giggles in response to what I just said. "I've seen the way you two look at each other, you guys are meant to be, I'm sure of it. The band competition was more than enough proof that you guys are perfect for each other." Daisy says, leaving me speechless in return.

This is a very overwhelming experience, I'm being told by my crush that I don't even like her. I've never even seen Hailey in a romantic way, I've always had eyes for Daisy, and only her.

"Daisy, I'm sorry but you're not making any sense right now." I say, starting to feel a bit agitated. "If you don't like me, that's fine and I'll accept that. Just tell me that instead of all of this nonsense, I'm positive that I don't like Hailey."

A stunned silence fell over us as I tried to process Daisy's words. I don't understand why Daisy's so convinced that I like Hailey when my heart only has space for Daisy.

After a few moments of silence, Daisy begins speaking again. "I'm sorry for pressuring you, Jake." She says as she looks at the ground. "I just see something between you two." Daisy apologizes before one of her moms comes to pick her up. I remain silent, but I still wave goodbye.

"Bye Jake!" Daisy exclaims before her mother drives them away.

As I walk home, the only thing I can think about right now is Hailey. That certainly did not go as planned, I don't know what to do now. Why was she so adamant about me liking Hailey? What if Daisy was right, and I do have feelings for Hailey? But the chances of that seem pretty slim. Still, school is going to be very awkward for me on Monday in more ways than one.

I'll have to tell the club that I've been rejected by the girl I've been pining for since forever. I'm not afraid of them making fun of me, it's just an embarrassing thing to have to admit to practically anyone, especially your friends. Plus, I'll have to see Hailey again after I learning how Daisy envisions the two of us together.

I finally arrive back at my house and head straight to my bedroom. All I need to do now is think about what I'm really feeling, and luckily I have two full days to think of how I'm going to handle this situation.