Chapter One | Where It All Started

Hailey's Pov:
    It's been one week since the competition, and
everything's been going pretty great for the club.
It's actually kind of surprising how many people are interested in us now that we've won.

Lia and I have become decently friendly, we haven't spoken to one another just yet though. Instead, we just smile if we see each other passing through the hallways. Zoey replaced Lia in a heartbeat, and still treats the club the same way that she always has. Drew hasn't come to school in a week, but he's the least of my concerns now.

Last week I had the pleasure of meeting one of Jake's former bullies after the competition, Max. He and his bandmates have been helping us quite a lot, though I'm not sure if any of us completely trust each other just yet. Either way, I think that both bands have benefited from one another's help.

After everything that's happened in the past week, the only thing I can ever think about lately is Jake.

"It's just that he rubs me the wrong way. I mean we beat his band at the competition, and now suddenly he wants to be friends with us?" Zander complains as he drives us to school.

Most of the time I try to ignore Zander's early morning rants, but today he was talking about something a little interesting for once. I've been getting some weird vibes from Max myself, but I've been focusing on someone else in particular, Jake Sterling.

In a perfect world, we would've kissed up on that rooftop the other day. But in a perfect world, Jake wouldn't have feelings for Daisy. The only thing I was thinking at that very moment when I chased after him was how much I love him. I love him so much that it hurts to be around him because I know that when I'm with Jake, I'll always be the second choice, the other woman in his eyes.

Zander parks his car at Rosemeadow High then continues on with his utterance before we headed out to the school building.

"Honestly, who does he think he is? What do you think, Hailey?" Zander asks, still somehow rambling about how much he wants absolutely nothing to do with Max. My mind is still preoccupied by thoughts of Jake, so I don't hear him at first.

"Hailey?" Zander asks me again, a little louder this time. He's definitely starting is to catch on that I'm not listening to him.

"Huh? Oh, um yeah totally, that makes sense." I say, a bit startled, trying to make it sound like I've been listening.

Zander glares at me, now there's no denying that he knows that I've lied straight to his face. "Did you hear anything I just said?" Zander asks me, sounding slightly annoyed.

"Not really, sorry I was thinking about this English test I have today." I tell him because I couldn't think of anything else to say.

"Really, you're just thinking about an English test?" Zander scoffs, tilting his head and raising an eyebrow at me.

Zander knows me too well to know that I'm not the type of person to stress over an English test. Honestly, I don't even know why I tried to lying to him in the first place.

"Hailey, please tell me that you're not fantasizing about Jake again." Zander asks me, rolling his eyes.

"Why would I be fantasizing about Jake of all people?" I ask with my eyebrows narrowed and arms crossed.

"You didn't answer my question, Hailey." Zander says smirking at me as he begins to exit the car, still awaiting my response.

"I would never fantasize about anyone, especially Jake." I tell him as we walk up to school.

Only to see Daisy, the girl who stole Jake's heart without even trying. Daisy smiles and waves at Zander and I, while wearing her usual sweetheart attire. Zander doesn't seem to notice her, so I wave back at her before she meets up with her friends.

As much as I want to hate Daisy, I can't. In her defense, It's not her fault that Jake likes her. Sometimes I wish that Daisy never existed though, but having that kind of mindset explains why Jake's interested in Daisy instead of me.