Chapter Six | Cutting Ties

Hailey's pov:
There I was alone with Jake in his living room. I desperately wanted to leave and go home, while Jake wanted me to stay. The tension in the room was heavily mounting, and it felt like we were both holding our breaths. We've spent so much time together, but right now we couldn't even bare to look at each other.

"So, what do you want to do?" Jake asks me, breaking the prolonged silence between us.

"I don't really care, do you have anything in mind?" I ask, trying to be polite.

"We could check out my room if you want." Jake suggests.

Before I respond, I think about the option for a moment, "Yeah, that's cool, I'd love to see your room."

"Great, I'll show you around!"

Jake then takes my hand and leads me upstairs to tour his bedroom. I have no clue why he decided to grab my hand, but I just wanted to get this over with so it's best that I don't bother to ask.

Jake entered his room, followed behind me. His room was an exact replica of his personality with movie and band posters covering his walls. Also filled with video games, and everything that's usually in a teenage boy's bedroom.

Jake closes his bedroom door and sits down on his bed, then gestures to me to sit with him. I eventually sit down next to him, but I make sure there's distance between us.

Jake smiles at me and says, "I'm really glad you came tonight, and that you chose to stay."

"Uh, yeah me too." I say, feeling like I have no other choice but to agree with him if I want tonight go to by swiftly.

"You know, I think Daisy rejecting me was a good thing, now I like someone else." Jake says before he pushes my hair out of my face and tucks in my ear.

Out of everything that Jake's done and implied today, this set me off the most. All I want is some time away from him, and at this moment it feels like I just can't get away from him.

I lean back on Jake's bed, rejecting his touch. I begin asking, "Jake, what are you doing?"

Jake looks surprised and a bit upset after seeing my reaction to what he just said. "I'm saying that I like you, Hailey."

"No, no you don't."

"Yes I do, I really do like you, Hailey."

"If Daisy hadn't rejected you, I wouldn't be a single thought in your mind and you know it."

"That's different though, now I've finally realized that you've been there for me all along. You're the best person I know, and I don't know where I would be without you."

"Jake I can't do this, I refuse to be the person you settle for just because you can't have Daisy."

Jake looks taken aback at my reply and looks at me with an impaired expression. In his defense, I would've reacted the same way if I was in his situation. Still I can't believe I just said that to Jake, he didn't exactly deserve it. I had to put some sense into him though, there's no way that he would like me of all people.

I stand up and look at Jake after the elongated silence, "I'm sorry but I should really get going. Your home is really nice, and Milo's seems pretty great." I say before heading downstairs towards the staircase.

"Thank you, and thanks for coming." Jake says quietly, now looking at me. "Do you need a ride home?" Jake asks me, still willing to take me home after what just happened.

I know that the right thing to do is leave him alone right now, even if I did need a ride. "Zander can take me home, thanks though."

Jake awkwardly smiles and remains seated on his bed, I hate seeing him like this especially since I caused it. I quickly went down the stairs, and exited Jake's house without saying another word.