Chapter twenty four

December arrived and with it winter. The first snow fell, which I enjoyed like a small child. Snowflakes were falling, covering the streets in a white veil. The frost painted flowers on the windows. The air was cold, warmer than I expected, but cold. Samael and I walked through New York at night. We spent night after night together. I found out that it is not best to wear heels in the snow. I had to fall on my ass several times before it dawned on me. Ice is treacherous. New York is a very big city, the streets were packed with crowds of people, tourists and locals alike, so no one was dealing with one girl talking to herself. And when someone noticed me, he just wrinkled his face and as soon as I was out of sight, I was also out of mind. It didn't bother me; I didn't mind being a public fool.

In Rockefeller Center, a tall Christmas tree shone beautifully with all the colors of the rainbow. It was beautiful. Thousands of people came to see it, enjoying the Christmas spirit. Crowds jostled to get the best view possible. I and Samael went to see its lighting. At first, it was dark, an eager tension hung in the air, and then it came, a flash of light lit up the darkness like a dying star, the light scattered in all directions. Wide smiles bloomed on the faces of the ubiquitous observers. There was a loud, collective gasp of shock and awe. Applause, cameras clicked. Everyone admired the beauty.

Christmas was already behind the door. Carols rang through the air everywhere I went, jingle bells rang. I was returning home to Los Angeles for the holidays. At first, I was a little uneasy about returning, but in the end, I was looking forward to the family - Henry will also return from England. I got on a plane and flew back to California.

To my surprise, my mother and father were waiting for me at the airport. I honestly did not expect them. They squeezed me hard to greet me.

"You have no idea how much we missed you," said my mother.

"We're both glad you're home again," said my father.

"Nice to see you too," I said. "I missed you." not quite true, but not a lie either. Maybe somewhere deep inside I did, but in reality, I didn't even think about them until this moment. But somewhere inside I missed them; they were my family after all. I missed those years spent in their arms.

As soon as we left the airport, I felt the difference in temperature here in LA and New York. The air was much warmer. The sky was clear, far and wide not a cloud. The sun was warm, its sharp rays stinging my face. As we drove, I looked out the window. I once again had the opportunity to walk through the streets I knew so well. Again I could see the palm trees rising to the sky, the sea bordering the horizon line. I grew up here, I used to call this place my home - and yet, when I'm back here, it seems somehow distant. Like I don't belong here anymore.

I entered my old room, it seemed so empty. It seemed so long ago that I said goodbye to these walls. Everything was still in its place, exactly as I left it. For a few days, I will again be the Arya they knew. Just a few days with the ghosts of the past.

On Christmas Eve, a spectacular Christmas party was held at our house. The house was decorated in blue, white and silver. The entrance hall boasted a tall, lavishly decorated Christmas tree stretching to the ceiling. At its peak stood a huge, twinkling star. Christmas carols rang out in the rooms and a cheerful mood filled every corner. The whole family, friends and neighbors met. Everyone was having fun, laughing, feasting. The house was in a festive mood and, above all, peace.

Jessica came too. Dressed in a corseted, white dress with a long skirt, made of fine fabric like a spider's web. Her bodice was studded with decorative stones, glistening when the light hit it. As soon as she saw me, she immediately ran after me and threw herself around my neck.