Chapter eleven

Two days have already passed since my arrival in L.A.

Vincent was waiting for me at the airport with a big bouquet of roses and sweets. I needed those, I needed sugar to give me energy. Like a gentleman, Vincent carried my suitcase and we headed home. He stayed with me for a while but then decided I was too tired from the flight, so he left so I could rest.

I decided not to celebrate my seventeenth birthday this year. I told Vincent and Jessica that I was still tired from the trip to Paris. I told them that the time difference was to blame. They believed me. They understood and gave me a few days off.

But the truth was that I wasn't tired from the journey, but because I hadn't slept since my surprise encounter with Samael in the real world. Liters of energy drinks and chocolate kept me awake.

The house was empty, just me and the shadows. I walked through the abandoned rooms. It was strange how melancholic they looked. A deafening silence filled the air. I had never been completely alone on my birthday before. I chose it. I wanted it. It's just strange to be condemned to your own thoughts. Like a vortex, they pulled me deep into themselves and told me stories that I long to forget. They were dragging me into a black abyss full of demons of the past, which were already grinding their teeth to tear me to useless pieces again. I was suffocated by the knowledge that when I am alone, I become nobody. I was destroyed by the knowledge that I was the one who broke me in order to prevent others from doing the same. It didn't bother me until now, but with Samael's presence in my life, something surfaced, something I hadn't known until now. As if being accepted was not enough for me. How I suddenly need someone to recognize me.

I lay down outside on a lounger by the pool, watching the night sky. Black clouds stole the beauty of the stars for themselves. A cool breeze cooled the hot summer air. The leaves in the treetops whispered unintelligibly. The chirping of crickets carried from a distance.

I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. Gradually and slowly it lulled me to sleep.

I woke up in a royal bed in Samael's palace. I found it odd, but nothing that surprised me. I'm used to strange things.

A sweet melody wafted from somewhere. It sounded through the air, beckoning me. I decided to follow it.

My feet carried me to a tall, double door made of massive wood. An intoxicating sound came from the room behind them. I had no idea what I would find behind them, but despite the hesitation, I went inside. I entered the vast hall. The windows were darkened with heavy velvet curtains. The thick darkness was pierced only by the light of the flickering flames in the tall candlesticks lining the edges of the room. In the middle of it all stood Samael playing the violin. The strands of sweet music wrapped around me and pulled me closer. My presence did not disturb Samael from playing. Fully focused, he continued to play, the bow gliding easily over the strings.

I sat on the floor at Samael's feet, the black tulle skirt of the corset dress spread around me. And only then did he stop and focus on me. He knelt down in front of me and stared at me with his bewitching golden eyes, in which I happily lost myself.

"Why did you stop playing?" I asked him. I didn't want to disturb him.

"Did you like the music?" he answered with a question.

I nodded. Samael put the bow back on the strings and draw out a few more notes. I closed my eyes and let myself drift away. I gently swayed to its tune. I was so daydreaming that I didn't even notice when he stopped playing. I opened my eyes. Samael was staring at me with a strange look full of passion and tenderness. He smoothed my hair behind my ear. It was a careful and gentle touch as if he was afraid I would move away. He left his hand on my neck. Leaned closer and closer to me. Our lips touched. He kissed me. I returned the kiss. I should feel bad because I'm basically cheating on Vincent, but the problem is, I don't feel that way. Remorse can haunt me for any folly, but for this folly, my heart longs.