The Devil And The Cadaver

Night at Silver Oak Gardens was cool to the touch. Anthony Martinez found himself on the park's bench, gazing at the still water that reflected the bushes like a mirror.

His long, sharp ears, nub-like horns, and curly brown hair stuck out from the coat too big to fit the boy. It draped over him like a blanket, only covering his face but exposing his feet.

His feet were made of three oversized fluffy toes, with one longer toe in the middle. Deep purple fur covered from most of his heel to his paw. A pale blue decorated his paws in thin coarse fur. Large claws that were as long as a knuckle or two pointed from each digit.

"Hey, is that a kid?" A man with a fox body whispered. Tufts on his cheeks were covered in black and his eyes were a shining amber color.

"Nah, gotta be a homeless midget or something." Another man with blonde hair and blue eyes said without a care for the boy's sleep. Golden armor covered his body with compass-like stars standing out in the middle of his chest and ornamental cloths.

"No way. That's a little boy." The fox said and gently uncovered Anthony's face. The rush of cold air quickly awakened him, making his pale blue eyes shoot open in fear.

A small squeak broke up into a sheep's bah emitted from the boy's chest out of instinct. His small fists gasped into the coat and yanked it from the fox's hand, covering his face again and hiding underneath with a grunt.

"Hey! Don't be rude, kid!" The blonde mentioned as he strutted over to the boy. The hero stuck his hand under the cloth and pulled it away from the boy's shocked expression. The shock quickly turned into a shine in his eyes as he stared up at the blonde.

"Gold charming!?" The boy called out with a smile on his face. He blinked again, making sure it was who he believed in front of him. A long coarse fur in purple and ending in blue began thumping against the wooden bench.

"Oh? So you know me?" He asked the boy in an oversized white button-down. Anthony's eyes shone like a star as his tail uncontrollably flung its fur in a helicopter-like motion.

"Hey," the fox interjected with kind eyes, crouching to his level, "My name is Vulox. What are you doing out here?"

"I forgot my keys." He slipped his arms up in the coat and sat up, revealing a shiny instrument under his minuscule weight. He wasn't allowed to tell the truth about why he was outside. Mom always said never to tell anyone about why he was outside. He was told to lie and say he was a latch-key kid, or he would "be taken away, and all of his instruments thrown away".

"It's cold out, kid. Do you know where you live?" Vulox asked and lent a hand out to the shining eyes.

"Mhm, but no one is home to let me in." He replied and took the hand of the fox. He was already warm to the touch, yet Vulox was much warmer.

"Hey, nice violin kid. Mind if I see it?" Charming went to pick up the violin that was under the boy. Black walnut wood in a beautiful, almost new-looking shine and golden gears protruding from the sides.

The boy lunged over to the violin and snatched it back. He apologized frantically "Sorry sir, but I don't want anyone touching my violin."

"It's awfully nice. Did you steal it?" He put a hand on his shoulder, making sure he couldn't walk away from his grasp and Vulox stepped back.

"No. My papa gave it to me!" Anthony called out before he set the violin on his chin and the bow in the other, "I can play if you want. I practice almost every day." He began sawing, letting the music vibrate the air.

"I don't believe you. Let me see it!" Charming lunged at the violin and the boy flinched back.

The shine in his eyes dimmed as he stared up at the man. He held the bow and violin close to his chest, making the gears slowly tic. His ears were pinned back and his tail was tucked neatly between his legs.