Chapter 7 (1/2): Horikita Suzune, Finally getting Lessons from her Mentor

Começar do início

"Now look at the likes of Hirata and Kushida. Look at how effectively they were able to tame the class today, particularly Kushida. Incredible social skills, not to mention excellent grades. If taken just at face value, they're excellent, exemplary students unworthy of Class D." Says Kiyone.

"To put a seemingly perfect student like Kushida in Class D... A dark past or a hidden, malicious aspect to her personality would be an appropriate 'defect,' no?"

Just the fact that me, Kiyone and Koenji are all in Class D is evidence enough that the school doesn't evaluate students on just grades and physical performance. It's only when you look at our character that, by Mr. Sakayanagi's standards, us three could be categorized as defective.

That said, even if it's to uphold your criteria, putting us all in the same class is still a disastrous decision in terms of class balance. But, well, I suppose outliers where bound to happen eventually.

"Does that apply for you two?"

"A rude question, but yes." Kiyone replies. "If that wasn't the case, with our grades and physical ability, there's no way we could end up in Class D."

If anything, we're the poster definition of what I described. A dark past? A hidden, malicious aspect to our personality? Sounds like us, alright.

"...In that case, what 'defects' do you identify for yourselves? You seem to think yourselves as perfection incarnate." She asks, her genuine curiosity hiding behind the sarcasm in her compliment.

"Psychopathy, slight ScPD and a machiavellian personality."

"Psychopathy, DPD and a machiavellian personality."

Confused by our combined straightforward answer, Horikita seems to be conflicted between seeing it as a joke, or as a joking admission of something more.

"Combined with Koenji, we make up all parts of the Dark Triad." Adds Kiyone, disregarding Horikita's conflicted confusion.

Seeing as we're giving her such juicy ammunition, she better be recording. I'll check later.

"I... let's just move on." Says Horikita, unwilling to delve into it. "Anyway, are you thinking of something similar for Hirata-kun as well?"

"Potentially. It is a consideration of ours, and it's part of the reason why we let that conflict in class brew for longer than it needed to." I say, which seems to grab her attention. "With all that out of the way, let's talk business, Horikita. It's the start of your tutelage under me, so welcome to class."

"And that's also my cue to leave." Kiyone adds, letting go of my arm with some difficulty. "Kiyotaka, for now don't let any more rumours about you two spread. Alright?"

"We're on the roof. Don't worry-no one will see us." I say, reaffirming her with the obvious. I also rustle her head a little, which adds a little pep in her step as she walks away.

"Alright Horikita, let's start your lesson. Are you ready to take notes?"

"I don't have a pen and paper, if that's what you're asking. However, I am recording as you so graciously told me to get in the habit of."

Good to hear she's learned. I won't even have to check now.

"Good enough. Then I'll start with a question. Horikita, what did you think about this morning's conflict?" I say, referencing the shouting match between the three idiots and the girls.

"Unnecessary. The idiots in the corner were trying to justify their inadequacy is all." She replies clearly, assured of her answer. "I agree with what Yukimura-kun said. We need to aim for high scores to maintain our Class Point lead."