Blood Wars

June 1st. The day that haunted every family in the kingdoms. The day souls left and bodies buried. The day that cries of mothers would fill the streets and grieving fathers would fill the bars. Even through all the conflict, all 5 sections hated the day. No matter the outcome.
June 1st was the day the blood wars began.

6 months earlier
"where are your sisters?" Rue Ramsey asked her eldest son.
"At the river." he said nonchalantly. Dakari looked at his mothers face and saw the fire in her eyes.
Mrs. Ramsey stomped towards her son, grabbed his ear and drug him along beside her.
"And where did i tell you not to let them go?"
"Ma you never told me anything!" he squealed in pain by the tight grip his mother had on his ear.
Rue let go of her grip. Her son lost his balance and stumbled forward onto the old rickety wooden floorboards into the kitchen.
Rue grabbed her sons head and pushed it towards the ground to where she could see the back of his neck. There was a scar on the back of his neck. The scar indicated that it was Dakari. Dakari and Makani were identical twins whom no one could tell apart, not even their own mother.
"Wheres Makani?" she asked angrily.
"In our room." Dakari said while rubbing his sore ear.

Behind the Ramseys brick house ran a river that flowed throughout the entire land. It was continuous, never stopped. From Ocean to ocean. It ran through every section. Both daughters of Rue were perched on rocks watching the fish with transparent skin swim by.
"That Gaia," Theadosia pointed to a smaller fish, "That's crassus, they are rare. Your lucky to see one." Thea told her 7 year old sister who believed any word that came out of her mouth. Gaia stared at the fish intently, "Let's take it to Father to cook!" she said excitedly as she jumped up to grab it. Thea grabbed the back of her dress and pulled her back with minimal effort. "Gaia how would u like if someone picked you up to cook you?" Gaia face turned to disgust. "I wouldn't like that at all!" she spit out, "but no one is going to eat me Thea. That's absurd." she said.
"That's a big word."
"Kostas told me that absurd means crazy." she said proudly.
"We'll did Kostas tell you that the people in Tribus love to eat crassus and little girls." she said knowing her sister had never met anyone other the Malkan people. Gaia screamed and took off running towards their mother who was walking towards them with a frowned expression.
"What did she tell you this time Gaia?" Rue asked painfully.
"ma will the Tribus people eat me?" she asked with fear in her tiny blue eyes.
"No Gaia no one is going to eat you. Now your sister? that's questionable." Rue said and looked towards her eldest daughter.
"I don't want people to eat Thea!" she cried again. "I'm just teasing." she laughs and tickled Gaia to squeeze a laugh out of her too. "Come along, your father will be home soon." she says and heads back to the brick house with little Gaia clutching to her dress.
"Thea! Your have to help Makani clean to latrines tonight!"
"Ma! Why?" Thea asked disgusted.
"You know your not suppose to be by the river." she said.
"but-" rue raised her hand to show the conversation was over. Thea huffed silently and stood to follow her mother into the house.