F O R T Y - S I X

*Six weeks later*

Alex's POV

I studied her closely, watching her focus on her sketch as she sat by herself in the library. The sun beaming from the window rested upon her chocolate brown glowing skin. She rested her chin on one hand as she let the other hand do all the work. She looked peaceful and very much in her element. Her eyelashes fluttered as she studied the page in front of her. She licked and bit her lips as she tilted her head to look at her sketch from multiple angles. She grabbed an eraser, rubbing it across the page before trying again. These past weeks had me trying to forget all about the awkwardness between us. It had been replaying in my mind over and over. I thought about it in the hospital and at home as I recovered. I wondered about what it'd be like if I had said something different.

I couldn't find the words to say to Violet; I was speechless! She was brave enough to confess her feelings as not many girls would do that. I feel like girls would just want to have sex and move on. If it wasn't that, then they'd wait for the guy to be the one to pursue them. Violet wasn't like that. She genuinely fell for me as she said. I thought about her all throughout the days I was healing and I'll bet she was thinking about me too. I wondered what it would be like if I had just admitted that I did feel the same about her. I bet she cringed at her own confession, wondering why she admitted something like that. Recovering made me think of my life choices. I had been so close to the edge that I had to be thankful for my life more than ever before. The reality of what I was involved in hit me like a ton of bricks. I should've never been in a relationship with Eva as long as I did. She never loved me like I loved her. Now, I had to face the consequences in trying to move on, the consequences being the painful memories of what used to transpire between us.

During the time I was in the hospital, before she tried to come visit me, I strictly told the hospital to not let her come up to my room at all. Just like I predicted, she tried to find her way up to me multiple times through the week. Raymond indirectly begged me to press charges against her but I couldn't. I couldn't run behind the police just because I wasn't man enough to stand up to my ex-girlfriend. That just didn't go well with me. As I recovered at home, she tried to get to me there too but since my father's soft spot was my mother, he listened to her when she told him to let me rest.

My phone rang and prompted me to leave the library. I walked outside and stood in front of the glass double doors. I gulped, preparing myself for the insults ready to hurl at me on the other end of the line.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Get down to the house now." My father commanded. His tone was unrecognizable. It was as if he was trying not to be too loud. I could tell he was angry.

"For what?" I asked in annoyance.

"I won't say it again." My father repeated and this time more harshly. The line went dead.

I turned off my phone, rolling my eyes as hard as I could in hopes that that would hurt him somehow. I stood outside of the library's building, contemplating on whether I should just go or not listen. I ultimately decided to adhere to my father's orders. I walked to the parking lot and got into my car. I removed my hat from my head and touched the back of my head where the stitches were recently removed. It didn't hurt as much but I needed to keep it dry and check for any infections. The doctor had said it had healed nicely and that my hair will continue to grow in that spot. Now that was good news to me.

When I arrived at the house, I felt the life get sucked out of me as I took the steps closer to my father's office. I stood in front of his door, hearing two muffled voices. One voice was a woman's and it sounded very familiar.

I knocked on the door to his office and opened it. I squinted as I laid eyes on Eva sitting on one of the chairs in front of my father's desk. I walked up to her, furrowing my eyebrows.