Chapter 18

I start to worry when Scott leaves us there by the bench. What if someone accidentally hurts him? He's too weak to focus. Or what if he doesn't make it because the music is too loud for him?

My worries are confirmed when right before he reaches the DJ, he collapses onto the ground. I instinctively take a step forward, and then gasp when some men from the station come over, picking him up.

I turn to Mason in panic, but we don't have time to speak because more men from the station come towards us and grab Malia and Liam.

"Let's go," they say roughly.

"Hey what are you doing?" I ask fiercely, stepping up to them.

"These are our friends," adds Mason bravely.

One of the men puts a hand on Mason's chest as a warning to back off. "Your friends are overly intoxicated. They need to be escorted out."

"Okay, I'll go with them."

"Me too," I say.

"That won't be necessary."

"I said they're my friends-

The man shoves Mason to the ground, and I don't help him yet because I angrily face the two men.

"Hey, you assholes! Don't-" He swings an arm at me and I duck. Feeling more confident, I knee him on the crotch. He momentarily lets go of Liam's arm and groans, but the second man comes to fight, too. I am not fast enough this time, and the second man comes up to shove me. I am pushed onto the ground just as Mason is being helped up by some guys from our lacrosse team. Upon hitting the grass, I feel the pain of it on my back, but it's not too bad. I start to stand up and one of the guys help me as well.

"You okay, man?"

"Are you hurt?"

"Nah, I'm good," I say, waving them off. "Thanks."

They nod and walk away while Mason and I search for the men and our friends, but it's no use. They're gone.

"What do we do? What do we do? Oh my god, oh my god," I panic, looking around me.

"Give me a second," Mason mumbles distractedly, staring at the stage. What is he planning? Is he going to ask him to just shut he music off?

"What're you going to do?" I say, knowing he's up to something.

"This." Mason suddenly leaves my side and dashes to the side of the stage.

"What?" I exclaim, but run after him anyways. The crowd of people jumping around makes it difficult to get through, but I finally make it to where Mason halted. When I arrive, he is already pulling at the cord. Oh. He's going to unplug the whole thing.

After a few tugs, Mason successfully makes the whole music stop, from the DJ's set to the huge speakers on either side of the stage. The DJ gapes at us.

"What the hell, man?"

As the DJ asks us this, the entire school here at the moment boos at the fact that there's no music anymore.

"Let's run," I pull at Mason's sleeve.

"Good idea." We rush out of that area to make sure nobody gets too angry at us. We run to the doors to the school, a place that's much farther from the stage full of annoyed people.

"That was really brave and stupid of you," I tell Mason with a wide grin, referring to his stunt of basically stopping the party.

He shrugs as if it's not a big deal, but he looks proud. "I have my moments."