Part 25 ~ Moon Run

I had to get out of the barn. I had wanted a moment alone with August but quickly realized that was a mistake. I had needed to assure him that I wasn't going to push him into anything he wasn't ready for. I had reached up to stroke his hair back from his face when he acted very un-August-like. As I'd touched him, he had closed his eyes and pressed his cheek into my palm, letting down his guard and leaving himself vulnerable. Alone. With me. In the relative dark. It had been too much.

It was his wolf of course, and I knew I had to be careful. August's decisions might not fully be his own during these next three days. I'd essentially be taking advantage of him while he was in a compromised state. Not that I wasn't wolf-drunk myself, cause I was. I had to fight my wolf's influence every step of the way.

When August had pressed his cheek against me my wolf had urged me to take his face between both my hands and kiss him, back him into an empty stall, throw him to the straw and do whatever I pleased. He had filled my head with notions of satisfying every amorous thought I'd ever possessed of him. Of course, in my wolf's fantasy, August was an equally compliant and willing participant. A version of him that I'd only briefly seen that very first night when he'd tried to kiss me. Since then, August had always been carefully reserved whenever we were alone.

Once out of the barn I inhaled, taking in a lungful of clean air. I needed to clear my head. I still had work to do, and August's scent was overwhelming. Very enticing. It spoke volumes to my already entranced wolf.

I led him up towards the house. Jackson had backed his truck up in the yard behind the back porch. It gave me a platform to speak from. I climbed into the truck bed and summoned the pack to assemble. I used my wolf voice when I spoke as it forced even the most inattentive wolf to take heed.

"First bit of business. Any non-pack wolves are required to check in with us before the run. You are then welcome to join us in a meal and spend the evening with the pack." I pointed to the pair standing at the top of the porch stairs. As I spoke, they waved to the crowd. "Please speak with either Ben or Naomi and they'll do their best to place you with the most appropriate group. For those not aware, and for the sake of privacy, the ladies will be gathering in the orchard after dinner to shift and the gents, down by the lake. From there you can move into your chosen groups once you are in wolf form."

"Secondly, I have still not received a response from many of you as to your winter needs." I narrowed my eyes as I spotted a few of the culprits within the crowd; Old Sal and Axel being among them. I frowned at them. "You all know who you are." I turned my attention back to the crowd. "I need a count on which families require firewood or deer meat. On that note, I will be organizing a hunt. Any of you who wish to join me, please get in touch."

I had only one more piece of business to attend to before I was free to disappear. I looked down at August who was standing only a few feet away from the tailgate of the truck. I reached my hand down towards him. Jackson, who was standing next to him, gave him a quick shove. He took my hand, and I pulled him up into the truck bed next to me. He glanced at me nervously. I had forgotten to mention that I had planned on introducing him.

"Last note of business. I want to introduce you to August Shaw." I placed my hand on his shoulder. "You may have seen him loitering around the farm. For those of you who don't know, he is our new pack lawyer. If you need any legal work done, then you can either contact him directly at his firm or come see me and I'll help you get in touch." I nodded to August as I released his shoulder before turning back to the pack. "That is all folks. As always, try to have a safe run."

I climbed down from the truck and began working my way through the crowd. It took a while. I was stopped every step along the way by those who wished to greet me personally with either a handshake, kind word or pat on the back and sometimes, all of the above. When I had finally made my way through, I turned to find August progressing in a similar fashion. It seemed everyone desired a chance to meet him. It gave me a chance to watch him as he slowly approached. Even the way he moved fascinated me, enticed my wolf. He was smooth and cat-like and I couldn't wait to see his inner wolf.