Part 22 ~ Stay and Run

I pulled into my driveway to park behind a gun-metal grey jeep. I was surprised to see the vehicle. It wasn't even noon and, on a Thursday, too. Neither Ben nor Jonah had mentioned that they might be dropping by.

As I climbed out of the truck, they came around from the front of the house. August looked towards me eyebrows raised and I shrugged. "Mornin' boys."

They were all smiles as they greeted us. Jonah seemed particularly happy to see August. He clapped him on the shoulder as he said hello. "And where are you two getting back from?" He looked at me eyebrows arched. "You know, we've been here for nearly an hour."

"We had pack business." I scratched the back of my neck as it prickled. It was warm standing out here in the sun. "I didn't know you were dropping by."

Ben smiled wide. "Our services were not required, so Jack gave us the day. We thought we'd see if our talents could be put to use here."

"Gazebo?" I asked.

"Gazebo." They replied in unison.

"Gesundheit" said August.

I knew there was a reason I liked him. I turned my attention to him. "Come." I said in my most manliest of voices. "Let us use power tools."

***

Caleb's gazebo was in his front yard. I had noticed the structure last Tuesday as I'd dropped by with an oh-that-wasn't-there-before type of interest. It was indeed a work in progress.

So far, it looked as if the framework had been constructed. Posts had been installed at every corner to support the non-existent roof. Also in place were the steps leading up to the deck. The deck itself, was only partially finished. The deck joists were in place, making it look like a giant sliced pie, but only three of the pie pieces were completed.

Not too far from the structure, a canvas tent had been set up over a temporary workstation. A workbench had been made between sawhorses and resting upon it were several power tools. A giant toothy-looking saw was on its own stand beside it.

I have to admit I was intrigued. I don't think Henry owned a tool, much less a battery-powered one.

"Mitre saw." Caleb said pointing to the toothy-looking toy on the stand. "Have you used one before?"

I shook my head. "Nope."

"Cuts a perfect angle. Good for framework and what we're doing here." He pointed as he talked. "Blade. Guard. Fence. Your angle is locked in here." He handed me safety glasses. "Put these on."

I did.

"See the teeth?"

"Yeah."

"They bite. Keep your fingers back. In fact, keep your hands completely off the table while cutting." He tapped the surface.

"Hold the wood from over here." He grabbed a scrap of wood and pushed it up against the fence. "Handle. Power trigger." He pulled the saw forward and down and a laser line appeared. "Cutting line. If you had a pencil or chalk line, you would line up the blade here before cutting."

He raised the saw up once more. "Watch the motion. Pull towards you, power up, bring it down, push back towards the fence and we cut. Wait for the blade to stop spinning and raise it back up." He turned and caught my eye. "Any questions?"

I shook my head.

"Then watch and learn." He pulled the saw towards him and fired up the blade. When it was fully powered, he dropped it down and ran it back. The blade whined in a most satisfying way as it cut. He then released the trigger and the blade stopped. It made a perfectly clean cut. He raised it back into position. "See. Nothing to it. Your turn."