Jon ii

His first days at the wall at been....disappointing to say the least.
It hadn't been like he imagined. It was...dark and cold and dishonourable.
Jon always imagined the wall to be a place of brotherhood and protection and yet it wasn't.
He couldn't help but feel betrayed.
No one had told him the truth.
No one but Tyrion Lannister.
Why hadn't his father told him the truth? Was he that ashamed of him?
Benjen could've told him but why didn't he?
Why didn't Lord Stark tell him who his mother was?
Did Amber think of him?
The questions didn't stop.
Jon wanted to prove himself. He wanted to show the world that even bastards could be honourable, that he could be honourable. He could be a great and renowned fighter. He wanted to show the world.
No, he wanted to show the mother he never knew and Lady Catelyn.

Jon had no friends and no one liked him.
He was better.
In almost all ways.
He was tidy, clean, educated, and a better fighter than most of his new "brothers".

Benjen Stark had left him alone at the Wall after his first few days.
He had been on top of the Wall for the first time, taking in its beauty.
He was thinking about his family and their reaction to it and then his mind drifted to her.

She'd be mesmerised.
He could see it before his eyes.
Amber is in a thick dress and coat with thicker gloves and a long scarf around her neck.
Her nose and cheeks were red from the cold, her eyes watering and her hair down.

Jon closed his eyes and took his imagination in.
More beautiful than this wall ever could be.

In his small room, he closed his eyes, with the familiar writing of his love clutched to his chest, and dreamed.
This time of her but he was still lingering.

He broke his fast alone and in silence until a voice interrupted him.
"Letter for you lord snow," said a brother.
"Thank you," he said as he took the letter from him.
He turned it around and saw the three roses of House Vernize.

Jon had a night shift at the wall.
When he arrived with Ghost he saw Tyrion Lannister on the edge of the wall.
He was amused.
Tyrion finished and turned around.
"Hello Ghost" he acknowledged the ever-growing direwolf.
"Lannister" said Jon.
"This is the last place I would have expected to see you"
"This is the last place I would have expected to be seen" replied Tyrion.
"I was captured on a whim. If I touch Ghost, will he chew my hand off?"
"Not with me here"

Tyrion scratched the wolf behind his ears like one would a puppy.

"What are you doing up here tonight?" he asked. "Besides freezing your manhood off..."Tyrion asked Jon
"I have drawn night guard," Jon said. "Again. Ser Alliser has kindly arranged for the watch commander to take a special interest in me. He seems to think that if they keep me awake half the night, I'll fall asleep during the morning drill. So far I have disappointed him."
Tyrion smiled.
"And has Ghost learned to juggle yet?"
"No," said Jon, "but Grenn held his own against Halder this morning, and Pyp is no longer dropping his sword quite so often as he did."
"Pyp?"
"Pypar is his real name. The small boy with the large ears. He saw me working with Grenn and asked for help. Thorne had never even shown him the proper way to grip a sword" Jon explained.

"I have a mile of Wall to guard. Will you walk with me?" asked Jon
"If you walk slowly," Tyrion said.

"The watch commander tells me I must walk, to keep my blood from freezing, but he never said how fast."
They walked, with Ghost pacing along beside Jon like a white shadow.
"I leave on tomorrow," Tyrion said.
"I know." Jon sounded strangely sad.
"I plan to stop at Winterfell on the way south. If there is any message that you would like me to deliver..."

There was so much he wanted to tell his family.

"Tell Robb that I'm going to command the Night's Watch and keep him safe, so he might as well take up needlework with the girls and have Mikken melt down his sword for horseshoes."

"Your brother is bigger than me," Tyrion laughed.
"I decline to deliver any message that might get me killed."
"Rickon will ask when I'm coming home. Try to explain where I've gone, if you can. Tell him he can have all my things while I'm away, he'll like that."

"You could put all this in a letter, you know."
I could write a letter to Amber, he thought.
"Rickon can't read yet. Bran..." He stopped suddenly.
"I don't know what message to send to Bran. Help him, Tyrion."

"What help could I give him? I am no maester, to ease his pain. I have no spells to give him back his legs."
"You gave me help when I needed it," Jon said.
"I gave you nothing," The Lannister said. "Words."

"Then give your words to Bran too.""You're asking a lame man to teach a cripple how to dance" Tyrion began.
"However sincere the lesson, the result is likely to be grotesque. Still, I know what it is to love a brother, Lord Snow. I will give Bran whatever small help is in my power."
"Thank you, my lord of Lannister." Jon pulled off his gloves and offered him his hand.
"Friend."Tyrion looked touched
"Most of my kin are bastards," he said with a wry smile, "but you're the first I've had to friend."
Jon looked around in a shy manner.
He was scared to ask his next question.
"You said something about a letter" Jon started.
"Yes," Tyrion said questionably while still shaking Jon's hand.
"Could you give a letter from me to Amber? In private of course."
Tyrion let go of the young boy's hand and let out a belly laugh.
"You love Amber Vernize" he stated.
"What? No" he tried to deny.
"My friend, I am the messenger of love."

He had written thousands of letters since leaving winterfell but none of them were right.
He even plucked and dried a winter rose for her.
He spent his entire shift trying to think of what to write.
And then it came to home.
A simple sentence would be enough he knew.
He dreamed of her almost every night so he might just tell her that.