F O R T Y - F O U R

Depuis le début

The amount of time I had to think of how to approach him wasn't enough as I finally found myself in front of the hospital. I stood in front of the entrance, looking at how big and tall the building was. It was modern-looking, with the material of float glass giving it a sleek and finished design. I looked to my right and saw an ambulance in its respective parking spot. I gulped, a lump forming in my throat as I pushed through the revolving door. The place smelled of hand sanitizer and soap. The waiting room was not too empty but not too crowded as civilians waited for their turn at good news. I walked up to the receptionist desk and this time saw a man. I walked up to the desk, being met with a pair of chocolate brown eyes and a smile.

"Hi, I'm wondering if you could tell me what room Alexander Marchesi is in?" I asked, not giving him a chance to speak.

"What's your relationship to the patient?" The receptionist asked. Oh shoot, I wasn't prepared for this question.

"I'm his cousin." I lied, showing him my ID, hoping that he wouldn't notice anything suspicious. I felt like I was undercover trying to bust into something illegal hoping that I could blend in. The man nodded and typed something into a computer as he held my ID. He looked up at me, his smile never leaving his face. He then gave me a visitor pass.

"He's in room 304 this way," he responded, pointing behind himself to the elevator. I thanked him and made my way over, getting on and pressing the respective button. The shaft lifted me up to the desired floor. The closer I was getting to the room, the harder and faster my heart beat. I got off the elevator, my feet dragging me as I looked for the appropriate room. As I walked, I prayed that Alex was here. He just had to be here. After all I came down here in faith.

Room 304 was about ten feet away from me. The door was opened and I could hear the sound of the TV. I slowly walked up to it and poked my head around the door frame. I could see the figure of a person that very much looked like Alex sitting up in the bed, watching the TV. I removed myself from around the door frame and leaned against the wall outside the room, closing my eyes as I gulped. I took a deep breath, my body trembling with guilt. He didn't deserve to be in this predicament. I took another deep breath, seeing that nothing or no one would greet Alex for me if I didn't move. I moved my body from off the wall and slowly stepped foot inside his hospital room.

Alex's eyes shifted from the TV to me. His eyes widened as he saw me. He froze in place, his hand on the remote as I walked to the foot of the bed.

"Violet," he breathed. I grinned, nodding my head.

"It's me Alex." I responded. Alex muted the TV and put the remote down, locking eyes with me. He had a look of genuine shock on his face. I knew I was the last person he expected to see.

"What are you doing here? Who told you I was here?" He asked.

"It seems as if the whole school knows you're here," I chuckled. Alex's expression didn't change.

"They all know I'm here yet you're the only who came to visit." He said in amazement. I nodded, playing with my fingers.

"Honestly, I'm just glad that you're alright. Once I saw the blood outside the dorms, I had to figure out what happened to you. I'm glad you're alive." I explained, my voice going quiet at the last part. I stared at Alex, suddenly noticing the bandages around his head and his black eye. I internally winced at whatever kind of pain he must be feeling now. He gave a shy smile, looking down at his hands. He gestured for me to come closer and I obeyed, standing at his right side. Alex looked up at me, giving me a sympathetic look.

"Did the doctor say that everything was gonna be okay?" I asked.

"Yep," Alex said. "The laceration on the back of my head should heal between six to eight weeks and so far, everything else in my body is fine. I just have a few bruises and of course this black eye." He said, pointing to his face as a matter of fact. Even though his eye was bad, it didn't take away from his twinkling green eyes that lit up such a dim environment.

"That's wonderful! I'm so glad you're gonna be alright," I exclaimed, giving him a wide smile.

Alex smirked, "Why? Were you worried about me?"

I rolled my eyes, "I actually was, yeah." I took a seat on the chair next to his bedside. Alex watched my every move as I removed my jacket.

"I'm alive, so you don't have to worry anymore," Alex reassured. "What would you have done if I didn't make it?"

"I don't even want to think about any what ifs," I said, shaking my head. "I don't know what I'd do."

That was the truth. I really didn't know what I'd do without him. It sounded crazy thinking about it but he was someone that was unforgettable. There'd be a loss without him.

*******************

Well, folks, there you have it. Violet has officially visited Alex in the hospital and found out that he is indeed still alive. If you want to see how the story continues to unfold, stay tuned!