Unseen Ties: The Enigma of Lilith

Start from the beginning

Once my meal was done, and the morning routine complete, I paused for a moment. Despite the constant barrage of the unseen, I had learned to find moments of peace amidst the chaos. I took a deep breath, steeling myself for the day ahead, knowing that the world I saw was far more intricate and bewildering than most could ever imagine.

In the heart of the city, delivering packages and errands was a different experience for me than it was for anyone else. Skyscrapers weren't just monolithic structures of glass and steel; they were also pathways for titanic humanoid entities. They strolled gracefully, their movements synced with the pulse of the city, casting ephemeral shadows that none but me seemed to notice.

The sidewalks were bustling, not just with humans engrossed in their daily routines but also with small, animal-like entities. Some of them were intriguing amalgamations of organic and robotic parts, and they clung to humans like remoras to sharks. To an onlooker, it might seem like a symbiotic relationship — the humans providing transport while the creatures offered them, perhaps, company or protection.

One of the most surreal experiences was during an errand for a regular client of mine. She wanted her favorite brew from a cozy coffee shop down the lane. As I waited for the order, I noticed the cups of coffee weren't just steaming beverages. Inside them, miniature pirate animals, complete with hats, swords, and eyepatches, clashed in fierce battles. They skirmishes over treasures, their high-pitched cries echoing like distant sea shanties in my ears. Each gulp taken by an unsuspecting customer was like watching a cosmic event — entire worlds and their brave inhabitants being consumed in a single swallow.

So engrossed was I in this spectacle that I nearly missed my order being called. "For the delivery boy!" Berissa, the barista with bright green eyes, shouted over the din, her voice snapping me back to reality. I thanked her and left, the weight of the multiple realities I bore witness to pressing down on me.

Every day was a new adventure, every delivery an opportunity to see the unseen, to witness the play of dimensions interwoven with ours. Being a delivery boy in such a world made every moment both a challenge and a wonder.

The shift from the bustling urban environment to the expansive rural areas always struck a discordant note within me. In the city, the unseen entities were layered, ephemeral, often passive. But the countryside brought with it a more palpable, menacing presence. The vast fields seemed to harbor grotesque creatures with far too many eyes and teeth, which watched me intently as I drove past, making me feel like prey.

The promise of two days' wages for one delivery had lured me here. The idea of a brief hiatus from my usual routine was enticing. But as I neared the quaint farmhouse, the heavy curtains obscuring every window filled me with foreboding.

The house's ominous aura intensified as distorted groans and moans filtered through the blaring music. Mustering courage, I knocked. The music's volume dipped slightly, and the door cracked open just enough for me to glimpse the chaos inside.

Bodies upon bodies writhed and intertwined. It was a pulsating, living mass, and it was impossible to discern where one being ended and another began. The shapes were humanoid, but the dimensions and proportions were all wrong. Limbs seemed to stretch, merge, and divide, creating an almost hypnotic dance of flesh and shadow.

A pair of eyes focused on me from the tangle, followed by a face that looked nearly human but with one large, luminescent green eye in its center. "Delivery?" the woman with the singular eye queried, her voice mellifluous despite the unsettling scene behind her.

I nodded, barely able to form words, and handed over the package. She extended an arm – or at least what appeared to be an arm – and took the delivery, passing back a tip that felt unusually dense.