“Can I have Mikka? She makes me feel comfortable.” I asked. Mikka has fixed me up a few times already, and I would rather have a familiar face to give me the bad news instead of a stranger. I could already feel the lump in my throat just thinking of it.

“I’ll give her a call and let her know to meet us there.” Nicholas said, and I held his hand to give him some comfort too.

I wasn’t sure how long we sat in silence until Nicholas  said we should go. I sighed and we slowly made our way downstairs, mostly because I didn’t want him to move too much when he had surgery in less than seventy-two hours. He shouldn’t be moving at all but he was one stubborn man.

I stopped in the middle of the staircase, feeling my heart slowly start beating faster.

It was my mother right at the doorway to the living room.

I swallowed hard, feeling my lips tremble. I walked down the rest of the stairs, closing the distance between us, but stopped a few steps away from her. My mother stood still, watching me, waiting for me to make the first move.

I observed her closely. Watching the color on her cheeks, the brightness of her green eyes, seeing how her chest rose and fell as she breathed. She looked just how I remembered her before I thought I had lost her.

She truly is alive.

“Mamá.” I cried out and reached for her.

“My baby, Elsa.” My mother wrapped her arms around me tightly, holding me as close to her body as she could. I let out a shaky breath when I heard her cry, feeling her arms around me and feeling how her heart was thumping behind her chest.

It was like all my pain, and all my worry vanished when she held me. How I had longed for her touch for so long, and it tore my heart apart knowing I was never going to see her again. But here she was, holding me in her arms again.

“My sweet  Elsa …” She whispered, looking at me with her teary eyes as she placed her hands on my cheeks.

“I thought I had lost you.” My voice was barely a whisper as I sniffed, trying to control my crying. My mother gave me a sad smile.

“Your boyfriend took good care of me. It killed me that I  couldn’t see you, but I knew it had to be done this way. For your safety too. He promised me I would see you again, and I’ ve been waiting ever since.” She explained. I wiped away my tears, and let out a small smile.

“Husband, mom. He’s my husband.” My mother took a sharp intake of breath, looking at me in surprise.

“You got married?” I nodded, and she looked behind me at Nicholas .

“Even though she’s -” She stopped talking, looking back at

“Yes. Even though I don’t have a drop of Italian in me.” I said, letting her know that I knew about Geotano not being my biological father.

“As if that would have stopped me from marrying her.” Nicholas  said, having me turn around to face him. He had his. arms crossed, staring blankly at my mother. I couldn’t help but smile. It reminded me of when he came to visit me back home, and how they wanted to kill each other.

Nicholas  was still not quite fond of my mother.

It had me let out a slight chuckle, making Nicholas  look at me. His gaze softened and a small smile appeared on his lips.

“I know what I want when I see it.” He winked. Even when I was a complete mess, he still managed to make me blush. I looked at my mother, seeing her with a warm smile. I embraced her once again, just to make sure she truly was here with me.