Prologue

Nicholas

I flung the car door open, sprinting out of there before it could even come to a stop. The branches under my shoes snapped, and trees were flying past me as I ran with all my might deep into the woods.

I had to get to her before it was too late.

I let out a snarl when I spotted the bastards who were chasing them and clutched the knife tightly in my hand. Shooting them was too merciful. I wanted them to feel excruciating pain before ending their worthless lives.

I grabbed the one nearest to me, plunging my knife deep into his throat, watching him squirming under my hold as he choked on his blood.

But it was still not enough to satisfy my rage and hunger. I was thirsty for every single drop of their blood.

I tossed him aside and grabbed the next one, watching the life disappear from his eyes as I ended his life before getting to another. I swung my knife left and right, getting soaked in their blood as I slaughtered my way to her.

My entire body froze as I dropped the last one in my view. A cold chill ran down my spine at the sound of her screaming echoing in the forest.

My heart stopped beating.

I was late.

I moved my legs. Running faster..

Until I finally saw her.

"Nicholas.." She said, relieved when she saw me. I halted in my steps, watching in dread when she winced and blood started to flow out of her.

"No..." I breathed out.

Tears streamed down her face, and she looked at me, shattered.

I held her tightly in my embrace, trying to somehow protect her. Tears streaming down my face.

But I was too late.

I was late once again.....