I was resting in the recovery room with IV bags attached to me, relieving my pain while I listened to Antonio as he reported everything back to me. The surgeons had to work fast on me since I had pushed my body beyond its limit.

And it almost cost me my life.

“…Everything is clear and people are getting treated.” Antonio reported and I nodded. We had faced a bigger army than expected and many of my men were injured. We had

casualties as well, but it was minimal compared to how many Geotano lost.

“We have him and his brother locked up, separately, and got the place heavily secured.”

“And Vasiliev?”

“He’s still around but keeping his distance.”

“Of course he is.” I shook my head.

“I want eyes on him at all times.” I turned my attention to the door when it opened.

“You good?” Dante  asked as he stepped inside.

“Still breathing.”

“You look like shit.”

“And yet I’m still better looking than you.” I shot back, and he cracked a smile.

“How’s Tessa ?”

“She’ll make it.” dante rubbed his jaw, frowning. I knew that feeling too well. The feeling of helplessness as there was nothing he could do but wait, and pray for the best.

“Elsa   is with her now.” He said, and I sighed. It’s been more than twenty-four hours and not once did she leave my side until I woke up, making sure I would be okay. Then she became restless, pacing back and forth before she decided to check on everyone else.

“How is she handling the news?” Antonio asked.

“I’m not sure. She hasn’t mentioned it yet.”

“Denial.” Dante commented, and I nodded. We all turned to look at the door when it opened.

“Oh… Am I disturbing you?” Elsa   asked as she looked at us.

“No. Come here.” I held my hand out to her when she stepped inside.

“We’ll leave you be.” Antonio and  Dante gave a small nod to Elsa    in respect when they passed her. She placed her hand in mine and sat on the chair next to the bed. Her eyes flickered around, looking conflicted before she finally looked  at me.

“How do you feel? Are you in a lot of pain?” She looked at my bandaged torso.

“I’m fine.” I reassured her, and her shoulders sagged in relief. We sat in silence and I watched her play with my fingers while avoiding looking at me.

“Elsa – 

“Tessa  is going to make it.” She suddenly said, still not looking at me.

“Asher l too. Gio and Logan are getting fixed up as well, and  Arianna was awake. But she’s sleeping now, so…” She continued to update me on everyone’s well-being. I already knew what the status was but I let her continue, wanting her to talk instead of being silent, and drowning in her thoughts.

“And you? What’s the status on you?” A small smile appeared on her lips at my question.

“Well, I did get shot so I had to get my arm stitched. And my nose is not broken, so I will say I got pretty lucky.”Elsa    let out a small breath before finally looking at me. Her arm was bandaged and her face was bruised from taking a hit.