Chapter 15: In the Silence Of War

The clinic's sterile interior enveloped Emmett in stillness as he entered the building. The constant beeps and whirs of machinery were the only sounds piercing the heavy quiet hallways. 

A vague sense of fear, of wrongness, gnawed at Emmett's gut as he pushed open the door to his sister's room in the clinic. She was nowhere to be seen, but her presence loomed over him like a ghost and sent a wave of cold down his spine. The fluorescent lights buzzed in unison while the constant beeps and whirs of machinery filled the air with dissonance. Shrouding the bed stood a white tented ceiling that blocked out all daylight. 

Inside Sabine lay still and small, curled into a ball beneath a mound of blankets that hid her wasted form. Her wan face peeked out from under an oxygen mask wrapped around her mouth and nose. His heart lurched at seeing her diminished state--the mere shadow of a vibrant soul she had once been.

Emmett slowly approached his sister, and although he wanted to reach out and clasp her hand, his body resisted. Her eyelids quivered and opened weakly as Emmett's gaze met hers. He was both relieved and frustrated to find the spark of recognition that had always been there in her eyes, but also a glimpse of the fiery spirit she used to have. While Emmett wanted to be strong for his sister, his heart ached at the haggard figure she had become.

"Sabine, I'm here," Emmett murmured. "How are you feeling today?"

She managed a faint smile.

"Well enough...considering the supernatural parasite I gave birth to," she rasped, typical humor lacing her tone even now. 

Her bloodred lips pulled back in an attempt at a grin; her face was white as sunlight on snow.

An angry gash marred her pale cheek from a battle with the demon.

Emmett shook his head, both endeared and pained by her resilience.

Emmett kissed his sister's forehead and slowly stood up from the couch, promising he wouldn't be gone for long. With a heavy heart, he stepped out of her bedroom and walked to the library. He had a newfound sense of urgency in him; he was determined to make sure she would get better despite all the odds.

Meanwhile, back at the cabin, Jason and Zander enjoyed the rare solitude Emmett's absence provided. The air between them hummed with intimate tension as Zander pulled Jason close, pressing their lips together hungrily.

"You know, even though you're the first guy I've ever been with, the connection we have and the flutter I get in my heart when I see you show me I like you a fuck ton. I guess I'm bisexual now? And I'm okay with it." Jason said.

"I guess I'm bi now too." Zander laughed,

"I just know I really like you too and I'm fine with how far our connection grows."

"Speaking of that, why don't we just make it real. Want to be my boyfriend?" Jason asked.

"Definitely," Zander replied.

Zander approached Jason, bringing his soul to his and kissing him passionately as if nothing else mattered.

"I've been waiting all day for this," Jason murmured, running his hands along Zander's back. 

Their blossoming relationship was still so deliciously new, every stolen moment cherished.

"I want you so bad right now," Zander said against Jason's mouth before nipping at his lower lip playfully. 

"Let's not waste any more time." 

Taking Jason's hand, he led him to the bedroom and pushed him down onto the rustic quilt.