||Chapter 14: Beat of the Drum||

Family members running right to left going up or down the stairs. The rush was insane, flowers and lights on the stair rails to vibrant curtains hanging down. The house covered in colors such as pink and yellow and orange.

Today being the actual start of the wedding, the Dholki. This event is separated, all the men from the groom and brides side will be downstairs in the basement and the women from both sides will be in the living room. It's mostly consists of family and close friends.

We came early morning to help set up the house. We have the dhol (drum) ready and the sweets. The different kinds of mithai (a South Asian sweet confection primarily made from ingredients such as flour, milk, sugar, nuts, and ghee) they brought looks so good. I can't wait to try them and the other sweets.

"Aisha, can you give this to your mom to iron?", my cousin asks has she hands a cotton blue dupatta (scarf). "Jii (yes)", I take it from her and go upstairs to give it to my mom.

"Mama, ap ase ko iron sakte hain Yasmeen ke laye? (Mom, can you iron this for Yasmeen?)". "Hain dedo (yes, give me), she says. I give her the dupatta and look around for my cousins cats.

I'm such a cat person. When I used to live in Georgia when I was little, I had so many cats as they roamed in and out of my aunts basement. Even one of the cats we named Lucky, she had kittens and would always hide them to protect them. I miss having cats so badly.

I look through the room hoping to spot one of them. Again I found nothing, I go back downstairs and there she was, an orange cat sitting on the table like a loaf of bread.

My eyes widen and I run to her sitting next to her and I pet her. Awwwww, she's so adorable!! Coco is her name and she just so cute. I scratch behind her ears and she rubs her head against my arm and purrs.

"You're so adorable Coco, yes you are!", I pick her up and put her on my lap petting her more. I spend Sajid a video on snap of me petting her and her purring. Since he won't wake up til like 4-6 PM Eastern time. This boy sleeps so much, like needs 20 hours of sleep a day and will be up all night.

It's 2 PM Central time, one hour behind fromSajid. So it would be 3 PM for him. Inshallah he will be up soon, I'm so bored.

"Aisha kam karo yaar, hamare pass saraf char ghante baaqi hain", Hiba auntie hands me a box of decorations and Coco hops out of my lap.

"Okay okay, what do I do with this?". "Put these garlands on the basement stair rails and the lights", she says. I agree and I get up and go to downstairs in the basement and start working. Hours pass as everyone stops working and worries about themselves getting ready.

Still the running back and forth didn't stop, it was just more about, "Has anyone seen my shoes?" or "Has anyone seen my vest", or even "Where's my jummkas?" (Desi earrings).

I went to my temporary room that my family gave our family to stay in since their house is huge. They insisted we stay stay with them but theirs already 3 other families staying here. I get my clothes and change in the closet.

Tonight I'm wearing a golden Gharara (It consists of a kurti (a short, mid-thigh length tunic), a dupatta (veil), and most importantly, a pair of wide-legged pants, ruched at the knee so they flare out).

I start with my makeup nothing to heavy then my jewelry. I'm not going to wear loaded jewelry since it's just the Dholki not the Nikkah or Walima yet. My phone buzzes, and it's Humza who finally wakes up.

It being now 6:42 PM Eastern time, and here 5:42 Central time. "ISHOO BILLI WITH REAL BILLI"(cat), he texted.

I text back, "ISTG, I'M NOT A CAT". I send him a snap of me all dressed up. He see's the snap and replies, "Mashallah meri bohoti pyaari si aur khubusrat si jaanu, like that's my wife-"( My very pretty and beautiful love).

I literally feel butterflies in my stomach, I blushing so much it's not even funny. I smile so much and text, "STOPPP, YOU'RE MAKING ME RED".

We text for a little while then I tell him I'll text him soon as the Dholki is about to start. I get myself ready with my jewelry, dupatta, and shoes and head downstairs to help anyone who needs it.

I help set up food on the table and set up chairs downstairs. As goes arrive I sat down with my cousins and waited. Getting up to say Salam to every person who walks by. As we get settled the aunties sat down and the men went downstairs. Nano, started with the dhol and we all clap and sing.

Everyone was having so much fun. The other girls started dancing and singing the excitement was real. Everyone was having so much fun and everyone looked so beautiful. I should take note as a future fashion designer.

The night got late food was severed and desserts were taken out. The music and dancing lasted the night as we all have fun laughing and cheering a special day for the bride and groom. And again Inshallah, I can't wait for my special day to be like this or maybe even better...