||Chapter 12: The Hustle||

I'm not going to lie, the weather did get a little rough at the end. The clouds grew dark and heavy, the winds shifted and roared as the plane fought against them. The air was cold, like snow to the touch.

Dark gray skies filled the atmosphere, and oxygen was low. Most of the passengers were asleep while I was awake, watching the clouds move by.

There was a bit of turbulence as we were about to land. The winds were strong, but Alhamdulillah, we made it safely to the ground. It's now 7:30 PM here due to the one-hour time difference.

We restarted our phones, turning airplane mode off. The passengers began gathering their belongings and started heading out of the aircraft, as did we. We collected our bags and headed to the gate.

The airport was big, and there were a few people waiting for the next flight. My mom received a text while we were in the air. It was from our aunt, saying, "Assalamu Alaikum, landed yet?

Nau baje Atif ne kaha ke raat ka khana aaj hona chahiye" (At 9:00 PM, Atif said dinner should be today). I told him you guys will need time, but yaar main kya kar sakti hoon? (What can I do?) Arrive safely, Inshallah. Address: 86270 W Devon Ave, Saffron Naan."

My mom's face dropped as she read the message out loud. I can't believe how mad Baba is right now. I bet everyone is tired from the two-hour flight, and now we have to rush to a restaurant for dinner.

I look at Baba as we walk to the baggage claim. "Accha, yeh rasta to our baggage claim aur kahan hai rental cars?" he asked.

I look at the sign to the left and point, "There, rental." We hurry as the bags start moving. We wait for our bags, and one by one, they come out, and we collect them. Then we rush to the rental cars and get a Honda Civic. It's now 8:00 PM, and we have an hour to get to the restaurant.

I didn't even have time to text Sajid that I landed. I quickly get out my phone and open Snapchat. Texts upon texts from this boy. I open the messages and text, "Assalamu Alaikum, jaan. I'm in the car now. I missed you so much."

He quickly responds, "Wa Alaikum Salam, jaanu. I missed you so much more. How was the flight?"

"Alhamdulillah, it was good most of the way through, just a bit rough at the end, but we're okay," I text back.

I hear my parents going back and forth about what we should do. From what I'm gathering, our Airbnb is close to the airport, so we can quickly check in, get ready, and then go to the restaurant.

Desis are always late to events anyway, so it wouldn't be that bad if we showed up a little late since we just landed.

I tell Sajid that we are now heading to our Airbnb to get ready for dinner at a nice restaurant. Putting in the address, the Airbnb should be about 10 minutes away. I look at Aya and Isa, and oh my god, they look so drained out.

"Mama, I'm hungry," Isa says. My mom turns her head back and says, "I know, baby. We're going to the new house to get ready, then we'll go out to eat."

Aya is close to falling asleep again. Surprisingly, my legs are just sore, but I'm not really tired. We make it to the Airbnb, and we all take our bags into the rooms and quickly get ready.

I wear a nice black dress with diamond stones around the collar and the sleeves. I wash my face and do my makeup quickly as it's almost time to go. The rest of my family is getting ready quickly as well.

I've never really seen my family get ready this fast. We're really in a hustle tonight, just for dinner with our family, not even with the groom's family.

"Darwaze se bahar niklein (come out the door)! We're going to be late. Let's go!" Baba yells.

I get Isa's shoes on for him as we head out the door. My mom gets her scarf and walks out with Aya trailing behind her. We all get into the car again and drive off. Later, we arrive at the restaurant and see Aunt Hiba, Uncle Atif, and most importantly, our cousin, the bride Samira.

We all exchange Salams and hugs once we see them. The restaurant is pretty big and nice. I hope they have good food since I've never been here before. I send Sajid snaps, and we talk.

We laugh and talk all night as the grownups discuss the wedding. I'm not really that close to Samira since she's much older than me, but we have a good relationship. Honestly, with everything going on, I think of my wedding. Imagine all this happening for me, and that I'll be Sajid's dulhan (bride).

I daydream about the moment I walk down the aisle in a beautiful red and gold dress. The spotlight on me as I walk closer to the boy I love so dearly. Completing half of my deen with this special boy, whom I love for the sake of Allah (swt). Inshallah, my dreams will become a reality...