Chapter 24 : The Sudden Sickness

"It's been a month, Bhabishree. We can't seem to break the ice," Duryodhana groans.

Draupadi was sitting with them after lunch and Karn again made an excuse of work to avoid them.

"Jyest won't even talk to us or sit with us," Sahadev says.

"He hates us," Nakul says.

Draupadi's heart pained looking at the youngest brothers. They are very sensitive she understood that in the last few days.

"Only you can suggest us now Bhabishree. What do we do?" Yudhisthir asks.

Draupadi thinks for sometime. This must not go on like this.

"Bhrata Duryodhana, what did you do when Arya left you that time?" Draupadi asks.

"Me? I stalked him everywhere until I got beaten," Duryodhana says as if it's his biggest achievement.

Yudhisthir gaps at him. Karn beat him before? Why is he so happy about it? He would die of sadness for getting beaten by his Jyest.

"Then do it again," Draupadi smiles mischievously.

"Priye," Karn calls Draupadi who just came out of bath.

"Arya," Draupadi smiles at him.

Without saying anything Karn embraces her burying his face on her bossoms. A heavy sigh left his mouth.

Draupadi understood the depth of his pain. A pain that only he is undergoing. Even if she wants to, she wouldn't be able to feel the depth of pain.

Draupadi pulled him more to herself as if trying to sheild him from the world.

"Arya won't you atleast talk to them?" Draupadi asks softly.

It's been a month they are all here. But Karn avoided them brutally. Not even sitting with them for supper. They also vowed that they won't return unless they get their Jyest with them. They are trying but completely failing to reconcile with them.

"Arya, they aren't at fault. Why are you punishing them?" she asks softly.

"I...I am not punishing them....I am punishing...myself..." Karn whispers.

"What's the need to punish yourself?" Draupadi asks.

"...I don't know...I know it's not their fault...neither it's mine. But right now I am in no position to accept this. I am their Jyest. Their eldest brother," Karn sighs.

"Arya, this pain is yours alone. But you always shared with me. I took this pain as mine. Then why don't you do the same with your brothers?" Draupadi asks.

"What will they do with my pain? They won't be even able to understand it. What it feels to be abandoned right after your birth, they don't know it. They had the bliss of living with their both parents, siblings priye. I didn't have that. I also wish to embrace my blood brothers to my chest and live with them happily. But my mind isn't willing to accept," Karn confesses.

"Arya, isn't Radha Maa and Pitashree your parents?" Draupadi asks.

"Yes, of course they are. They may not be the one to give birth to me but they are the one who raised me," Karn answers immediately.

"Then why did you say that you didn't live with your parents? You were with them all your life. You grew up with love, Arya. Parents love is the purest of all love," Draupadi says.

Karn smiles softly. She always knows what to say to make him smile. Draupadi goes to the bed with him.

"Arya, give them a chance to make it up to you. Brothers have a bond that is full of love, care and trust. Bhrata Yudhisthir follows you when you pray, Bhrata Bheem is always asking me about your favorite food. The foods you ate today and praised so much, Bhrata Bheem made it for you," Draupadi says.