Chapter 19 : Marriage Proposal & Abduction

Draupadi looked at Duryodhana worried.  Karn is going to ask for Bhanumati's hand for Duryodhana today at the Sabha. And Duryodhana is getting ready from the morning.

"Arya, the way Bhrata Duryodhana is excited about everything. What if Maharaj Chitraganda refuses?" Draupadi asked worriedly.

"I fear that too, priye. In that case....well...I know what that idiot is going to do..." Karn said looking worried as well.

They went to the Sabha. After they discussed a lot of their political issues Karn finally proposed the idea.

"Maharaj Chitraganda, I have a marriage proposal for your daughter," Karn announced.

"You want her hand in marriage?" Maharaj Chitraganda asks hopefully.

Karn gulped as he felt Draupadi's glare on the back of his head.

"I have taken the vow of monogamy Maharaj. Draupadnandini will always be my eternal consort. I present you the marriage proposal of my mitra Duryodhana, the prince of Hastinapur for your only daughter Rajkumari Bhanumati," Karn stated.

"NO," Maharaj Chitraganda's stern voice made the whole Sabha shocked.

"Absolutely not, Angraj. Don't you know our past with Hastinapur? How can you ever suggest my daughter's hand for the kingdom where that arrogant Bhism stays?" Maharaj Chitraganda screamed in rage.

Karn looked at Duryodhana worried. He saw him fisting his hand. He can tolerate anything but insult to his Pitamah. Karn looked at Draupadi worried. If he loses his control in Sabha, it would be no good.

"Maharaj Chitraganda, that was in past. Why don't we build a new friendship from the start? It can start with their marriage," Karn proposed.

"No, Angraj. Absolutely no. I will never send my daughter to that man's house. If I have to keep my daughter unmarried then I will but not to Bhism's grandson," Maharaj Chitraganda dismissed the Sabha.

"Mitra wait...."

"Bhrata Duryodhana..."

Karn and Draupadi called him numerous times but Duryodhana was so furious that he was only seeing red. He went to his chamber and began to throw things everywhere.

"Mitra stop," Karn hold his shoulders tightly.

"No, mitra. I won't. How dare he insult my Pitamah? How dare he say he will never give me his daughter's hand?" Duryodhana screamed.

"Mitra, we can't force them. Besides it would always be a political issue. And we need to take your parents permission as well," Karn said.

"To hell with all of this. Mitra, I want her and I will have her," Duryodhana chuckled darkly.

Karn looked at him worried. Duryodhana is in no state to listen to anyone anymore.

Their time of departure was coming near.Duryodhana hasn't done anything at all. He is quiet. Too quiet to be exact. He doesn't even whine to meet Bhanumati anymore. Only Karn is getting restless over this.

"Arya, you are worrying over nothing. Bhrata Duryodhana has accepted it," Draupadi tried to assure Karn.

"Priye, I know Duryodhana more than his parents. He is upto no good I am telling you," Karn said worriedly.

"I hope you are wrong, Arya. Hastinapur's relation with Kashi is already on fire, if he does something bad, I fear Hastinapur might have to fight with Kashi in future," Draupadi pointed.

"I hope I am wrong too, priye," Karn whispered. 

It's the day of departure. Duryodhana is nowhere to be found. He left a note to Karn that he will meet him outside Kashi's borders. Surprisingly Bhanumati is nowhere to found as well. Karn has almost pulled out all his hair.