017 | a series of unfortunate events.

Reggie woke up to the sound of the leaves ruffling

Reggie woke up to the sound of the leaves ruffling. his eyes were still shut, but he could feel his surroundings. he was still out in the woods. he could feel the cold, autumn breeze on his skin, and the crinkled leaves below his back. mostly, though, he could feel the pain in his head, he could feel the dried up blood on his face, and the worst pain he had ever felt in his thigh. he couldn't get up. he was hurting, and he was alone. he opened his mouth, trying to get a breath out, or even a shout to try and get somebody to help him, but his mouth felt too dry. he tried to move his hand to feel what'd been causing him so much pain in his leg, but he couldn't move. he was just stuck there, on the ground, in the woods.

he felt a soft hand on his cheek, making his eyebrows furrow as he tried to open his eyes. he wasn't scared, though, and that was the strangest thing. he didn't feel like himself, almost like he was dreaming, but he was awake. he could still feel all the pain, but he just didn't feel like he was alive, like he was conscious. it felt like he wasn't even there. he tried his hardest to lift up his hand, putting it on top of the soft hand on his cheek. those weren't daryl's hands, because daryl's hands weren't soft. they had a sort of rough feeling to them, whenever they'd caress reggie's cheek. it was opposite, then. it was somebody else. the touch was gentle, like it was a touch he could remember, but only vaguely.

"reggie bear," he heard that soft voice, a voice he hadn't heard for so long. that couldn't be right, right? she wasn't alive anymore.

"mom." reggie managed to croak out, trying to peel his eyes open to the best of his abilities. they were open, but only in a squint.

"oh, my darling." she said, pulling away from him. she looked the same way reggie remembered. the most beautiful, brown curls, and wearing her favourite earrings with small strawberry pendants on the ends, and that white, puffy dress that reggie used to love.

"what are you doing here? you're— you're dead." reggie said. he felt like he was going crazy. she killed herself. there was no way she was there, right in front of him.

she seemed to chuckle at that. "you're surprised to see someone that's dead? look around you, baby. you're laid in the middle of the woods, injured, with no protection. you need to get up."

"i can't," reggie said, feeling the pain in his leg worsen. "mom."

"come on, reggie bear. i need you to get up. you can do it." she urged, moving away from him. reggie let out a loud grunt as he tried to lift his body from the ground. he was hurting way too bad.

"mom, i can't do it. help me." reggie breathed out, his arms trying their hardest to lift him up, but they were too weak. he coughed out as he felt like his bones were rattling inside his body.

"i can't help you. it's something you're going to have to do all by yourself, darling. you can do it, i know you can." she said, taking a couple steps back. "walk to me, just like you did when you were a baby. you wouldn't walk to anyone else, but you'd walk to me. do it again, darling. walk to me."