Chapter 33

Zoe's point of view

Aria and Zayden have been busy with their wedding preparations. I'm excited for her, as I should be, she is my best friend, after all, but deep in my heart, I'm a little worried about Xander.

It has been weeks since he left me with Zayden at the border, promising to come back for me with information, but as each day passes with no word from him, my anxiety grows.

I hear a knock on my door.

"Come in," I yell, getting ready for the day. Aria and I are going wedding shopping today. Zayden's parents loved Aria as soon as they met her. Both sides agreed that the wedding should not be delayed. So they are getting married after graduation, which is five months from now. She wanted to finish the important stuff so that it wouldn't distract her from studying for the finals.

Aria and Zayden step in and close the door behind them. As soon as I look at Aria, I understand that something is wrong.

"What happened?" I ask her, trying to keep my voice calm.

Zayden walks to me and hands me a letter. I almost snatch it from him and start reading.

"Hello, Zoe,

I know you are waiting for Xander, but he will not be coming for you. You may suspect that he will not be harmed since he is my son, but you cannot be more wrong. You may ask that coward friend of yours, Zayden if you do not believe me. I will sacrifice anything and everything to get what I seek. He is unharmed, but that won't remain the same for long. Be a good little girl and surrender.

Einri. "

I shudder, dropping the letter to the floor. Aria is quick to catch me before I fall.

I look at Zayden, and he nods it is true. I am knocked out of breath. I try to gather myself in vain.

Aria holds me tight as I cry my heart out.

A few days ago, when Aria and I went to Zayden's house we found out from Zayden's mom, who is from Davel, that though Davel is on the same planet, time moves differently there. That's when we understood how Xander is almost the same age as us though he was born years later.

It could mean that Xander is already... I refuse to even think of it.

Zayden is quickly by my side. "Don't lose hope yet. He might still be alive," he murmurs. I quickly stand, but he stops me.

"No, you will not surrender," he barks. "Let us plan and if he is still there, we will get him out. I promise," he looks at Aria.

"Yes," she agrees.