Chapter 7

There is a howl in the distance, and Xander takes my hand, pulling me, and I feel another hand grabbing my free hand.

"Where do you think you're off to with her?" Zayden glares at Xander like a predator looking at his prey. Tension builds up between us, and we hear another howl, only this time it's much closer.

"I can't handle a pack of wolves all on my own, and you are not equipped to deal with them. So follow me, and you shall be safe," Xander says, still holding my hand.

"And how do we trust you?" Zayden asks, squeezing my hand, stopping Xander from pulling me away.

"He saved me, and I think he is a good guy," Aria interrupts. "Hurry," Xander says. "Fine," Zayden agrees.

"Let's stay here before we take off again. You can tell me the purpose of your visit while this guy here is off to pick firewood to keep us warm," Xander says, pointing at Zayden after we reach another cave.

"Me? Why? You were the one who dragged us here. Aren't you supposed to be the one to do that?" Zayden hisses at Xander.

"Well, yes, I can. But who will fend off the wolves if not me?" smirks Xander. "Aren't the wolves out there too?" Zayden asks.

"You don't have to go that far. Just collect it from the end of the cave," Xander points towards the dark end.

"I'm not leaving the girls with a stranger," Zayden says.

"Boys, enough now! You two stay here, and I will pick the fire wood. Let's go Aria," I say, walking ahead.

"Wait!" they say in unison. "I'll go, but stay alert around this guy," Zayden says before leaving. "So, now that he's gone, shall we talk?" Xander asks, sitting down on the ground. "What made you come here?"

"We're here in search of the dragon house?" I tell him hesitantly.

"How do you know about it? And why are you searching for it?" he asks, confused.

I lift my shirt sleeve to reveal the dragon birthmark on my arm. His eyes go wide in shock, and he doesn't say anything for a moment.

"How do you have this?" he asks. "I don't know," I shrug. "I'm here to know," I say as Zayden comes back carrying a woodpile.

"Will you guide us?" Aria asks.

"To the dragon house? I'm afraid I can't," Xander says.

Before I could ask why, he says," I can take you to my father who might be of help," he offers. "Well then, please do," I tell him.