《 53. After Dark 》

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

The night will hold us close and the stars will guide us home
I've been waiting for this moment, we're finally alone

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

After that, everything was wrapped up. Everyone parted ways and returned to their dorms. Rosalia rushed back to her portrait before time was up. You, Yuu, and Grim came back to Ramshackle with your things.

Thankfully, those eels didn't touch any of your belongings while you were gone. You were able to set all your stuff right, as if you had never left. As you unpacked your clothes, you couldn't help feeling odd. It felt strange to be standing in your room after so long, but you were relieved to get your home back.

Suddenly, you heard a knock at your door. "Come in." You uttered.

Yuu entered your room. He leaned against the wall with his hands tucked in his pockets. He took a split-second to survey his surroundings. "Hey, (Y/N). Can we talk?"

This should be good. "...I'm listening." You replied softly, bringing a grateful smile to his face.

For a change of pace, Yuu led you outside with him, so you could talk without Grim intruding. The two of you walked around the field behind Ramshackle, the one that you used to practice Magift before. As you strode side by side, it reminded you of something. Talking late at night like this, it was reminiscent of your first deep conversation with him.

Turning his head to you, Yuu parted his lips. "(Y/N)... forgive me." He finally spoke up from the silence.

"I should never have offered our dorm behind your back. That wasn't fair to you or Grim."

"I wasn't thinking. It was a mistake, and once I learned how much trouble you went through to get it back, I deeply regret it." He spoke sincerely. In truth, he didn't expect for things to unfold the way it did. Chances are you could've offered Ramshackle as collateral, but because of him, you were compelled to lose your voice instead.

Furrowing your brows, you met his eyes. While it was good he was apologizing, you still didn't get it. "Okay, but I don't understand. Why did you do it...?"

"You're already incredibly smart, Yuu. Unlike Ace or Deuce or Grim, you didn't need to make a deal with Azul. I thought you were above that..."

"And if you're going to say you did it for better grades, I don't buy it." You declared with a concerned look.

He smiled at you weakly. "Alright, the truth is..." Yuu trailed off.

Facing you, he met your eyes. "I wanted to impress you, (Y/N)."

"Eh...?" You tilted your head, eyes widening in surprise. Impress me? Why would he want...?

"I figured if I could reach at least top 50, that'd get your attention." He confessed. "Unfortunately, I don't have powers, so the dorm became my collateral. Due to it's worth, Azul bumped up my conditions to the top 10."

"Perhaps I got a little too cocky... but 12th place is pretty close, no?" He chuckled. You frowned in response.

"Alas... I know it was wrong to go behind your back, (Y/N). My explanation doesn't excuse anything, I'm aware. Still... I'm sorry, and I'm willing to do anything to get your forgiveness."

There was another brief period of silence. You stopped walking, and took a moment to process his apology. Following your movement, Yuu paused next to you.