𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:❝︎Something's Happened❞︎

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
❝︎Something's Happened❞︎

RAELYNN QUINN HAS BEEN THROUGH A LOT OF MESSED UP SHIT IN HER LIFE. For a while, a very long while, she thought she was the only one that had to go through what she had to go through, but instead she gets brought to the Avenger's Compound and she realized that her life seemed almost. . . normal. There were some people here that had such incredulous backstories, she almost thought that they were lying to her. Raelynn had never been one to be comfortable anywhere because of the monster her mind had created, the monster that her trauma had created. The monster that was now gone.

Raelynn felt a weight lift off her shoulders. The thought of being able to sleep peacefully without having to worry who she would kill while she was asleep made a breath of fresh air fill her lungs. She was so tired from the lack of sleep she'd gotten all those years, and now she was finally freed. If Raelynn was being honest with herself, she didn't know what to do. She'd slept peacefully for a week straight and it made her feel so good about herself. Now that she knew that she was safe to be around, she had a desire to find her sister.

She hasn't seen her little sister in years. Aurelia Quinn was the best of them, she was such a kind soul and if Raelynn was being honest, she didn't have a single clue how her sister did it. Maybe she was just better at coping than Raelynn was. Raelynn was hesitant on finding her if she was being honest. She had no clue what her sister would think of her. She couldn't help but wonder if Aurelia thought she was a monster, and Raelynn wouldn't blame her one bit, but Raelynn also knew that she had to try. Aurelia was her last living family member. She was the last person on this earth that truly knew Raelynn. Remembering who she was before she became this killer. It wasn't like she had any control over it, and Aurelia knew that.

Raelynn sat there in her room, staring at the television as it played some show she'd never seen in the background. She couldn't stand the silence, she couldn't stand the anticipation. Beth Dennings was doing everything in her power to find Aurelia, to figure it out if she was still at the place their parents had sent her off to way back when. It's been years, she might've left, which would make Raelynn's life a little more difficult than anticipated, but she was trying to be hopeful.

Being an optimist was not Raelynn's specialty. She'd never had any practice in it because she knew that when she closed her eyes and opened them again that someone else would be dead. She still had those lingering fears. She would wake up in the middle of the night, sweat pouring from her skin, heavy breaths leaving her lips. The panic would hit her first, wondering who was dead, and then the realization would settle in and she would calm herself down, remind herself that the monster no longer existed, and would lay back down and get a few more hours of sleep.

It was a struggle to live with such a burden. To remember all of those face, all of those mutilated bodies. Yet, she hadn't touched a single one of them. If you wanted to get away with murder, Raelynn was your go to person because she'd done it more times than she could count. More times than she wanted to admit. Raelynn knew what the Avengers thought of her. She knew that they kept a close eye on her just in case the monster were to come back. They also knew that none of it was her fault and they had never once blamed her for it. She wished they would. She wished that they would yell at her, lock her in a cell, give her some sort of punishment. She had blood covering her hands, blood that ran up her arms and down her back. She was practically covered in it from head to toe, but they simply wouldn't acknowledge that and she didn't understand why.

Maybe it was because they had people that had blood on their hands that they did acknowledge. People like Natasha Romanoff or Liliya Petrova. Eloise Gardner or Avery Barton. Everyone here had blood on their hands, whether or not it was good or bad didn't seem to really matter. They focused on change, on how to become better people, and they didn't bring up the past because they wanted it to stay buried. Their past made them who they are, Raelynn knew that. However, no matter how much good or bad they've done, in the eyes of the world they are still killers. In the eyes of Raelynn, she is still a killer, and no one can erase that from her. No matter how much she wanted them to.

Raelynn was pulled roughly from her spiraling thoughts when she heard a knock on the door. She glance at the time. It was noon, who would be wanting to talk to her in this very moment? She pushed her hair back, taking the hair tie on her bedside table and throwing her hair up into a rough ponytail so that she looked halfway put together. She hadn't even moved from her bed yet. She hadn't gotten dressed. She looked horrible. She always looked rough though. The bags under her eyes from the lack of sleep for years was enough to tell anyone that she'd been through the ringer.

     She stood up, making her way to the door. Her hand hesitated over the door knob before she finally turned it and pulled it open. A tired smile fell on her face. "Beth," she greeted.

     "Raelynn," Beth nodded.

     "What can I do for you?" Raelynn hummed, stepping to the side and allowing Beth to enter.

     The dark haired woman glanced around the room for a moment, taking note of the unmade bed, telling her that Raelynn had only just woken up. Beth turned to look at her, offering her a kind smile. "I did some research when I woke up this morning, and you'll be pleased to know that I've found your sister."

     Raelynn stood up straighter. "You have?"

     "I have." Beth nodded. "She's still at the school your parents sent her away to. Charles Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters. Now, they're not really keen on having uninvited guests, so I made a few calls, and they should be expecting you."

     "When?" Raelynn stuttered. "Today?"

     "Tomorrow." Beth corrected. "Something's happened so they're trying to get everything back together."

     Raelynn frowned. "What do you mean something's happened? Is my sister okay?"

     Beth held up a hand. "Your sister is fine. I'm sure you'll hear all about it when you pick her up tomorrow."

     "Alone?"

     "Yes, alone."

     "I mean, can I do that? Do you guys trust me enough to do that?"

     "I trust you enough, and that's all that matters." Beth placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "You'll be fine, Raelynn. I promise. Why don't you just relax today, hm? We'll talk more about this tomorrow. I'll come around the same time, gives you enough to get ready and everything, and I'll see you off. Sound good?"

     Raelynn nodded. "Yeah. Sounds good."

     "Great." Beth walked out the door.

     "Hey, Beth." She turned to look at Raelynn in silent question. Softly, Raelynn said, "Thank you."

     Beth smiled and offered her a small nod. "You're welcome." With that, the woman turned on her heel and walked away. Raelynn closed her door and sighed. Tomorrow was going to be nerve-wracking.

 Tomorrow was going to be nerve-wracking