𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:❝︎A Good Thing❞︎

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
❝︎A Good Thing❞︎

THEY DECIDED TO WAIT UNTIL THAT NIGHT. In the mean time, Raelynn had to force herself to walk around the facility to keep her nerves from attacking her. She had been walked through the entire thing. She was supposed to let them know when it was that she was going to fall asleep. And she would. But right now she needed to punch something to release her anxiety and so that's what made her walk to the gym where a punching bag was patiently waiting for her.

She didn't even bother protecting her hands. Instead she just went right at it head on―︎something she didn't do when it came to her problems. In fact, she usually avoided her problems at all cost. Raelynn was so focused on releasing the bunched up anxiety and fear that she didn't even hear the footsteps that were coming closer to her. Sweat was dripping from her forehead, her heart was beating in a quick pace and at any moment she was positive that her heart was going to simply leap from her chest. When hands came up to hold the punching bag, she stopped.

Skye Reva stood there, her dark hair falling over her shoulders as she looked at Raelynn with curiosity. A small frown was plastered on her face, and as Raelynn looked at her she couldn't help but notice how gorgeous the woman was. Sam Wilson was one lucky man. Raelynn could see the worry that was covering her face, and it made a sigh fall from her lips as she forced herself to back away from the punching bag and start messaging her bruising hands. She was really starting to regret not wearing protection of some sort.

"Raelynn," Skye greeted her, walking away from where she had been holding the punching bag steady. She crossed her arms over her chest, watching as Raelynn sat down on the bench, clutching her hands to her chest as she tried to make the pain subside. "Would you like for me to look at your hands? They're turning some very hideous shades of green and purple and might be broken because you were hitting pretty damn hard." Raelynn just looked at her and Skye made her way over to her, taking a seat beside of her and gently grabbing the blonde's hands.

The two sat in silence, Raelynn watching as Skye gently ran a thumb over the bruises that were forming over her knuckles, muttering words under her lips that instantly made the pain go away. She forgot that Skye had powers that resembled that of a witch. When Skye was finished healing her wounds, she placed her hands in her lap and could feel Skye staring at her. She didn't say anything, just waited for Skye to ask the question that Raelynn knew was on the very tip of her tongue. After a few more moments, Skye finally spoke.

"So, am I allowed to ask who the hell pissed you off? Not even Natasha punches that hard when she's training, and that's saying a lot." Skye waited patiently.

"No one."

Skye rose her eyebrows in surprise at this. "No one? You can't possibly tell me that you were punching that punching bag out of pure thought. You weren't even wearing gloves, so it makes me think that you did that to intentionally hurt yourself." She paused for a few moments before she continued. "What's going on, Raelynn? Is it. . . is it because you can't sleep?"

"No." Raelynn immediately shook her head. "It's not because I can't sleep. I can sleep perfectly fine. I just. . . Willow presented this idea to me. One that can hopefully calm down the monster that appears every time I sleep. Something that can control it." She pursed her lips in thought for a moment, shaking her head slightly. "I've been trying for years to control it. To keep it from killing people. What makes you think this is going to be any different? That's what I wanted to say to her. But instead, I simply agreed without any questions. I guess I'm just nervous, and it's been building up. I just needed to let go. Hurting my hands wasn't intentional."

"Well, first, take a deep breath. I can practically hear your anxiety." Skye placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Second, you can do this, Raelynn. You've been fighting this thing for so long. This is your chance to hopefully control it and maybe even get rid of it. You need to take the chance whilst you still have it. This is a good thing. Don't be anxious and worried over this, alright? If you need me there, I will be."

"No, I'll be okay." Raelynn waved off. "I just have to tell them when I go to sleep so that they're ready and so that they have time to catch it." She inhaled a deep breath before looking at Skye and offering her a small smile. "I'm sorry for making you worry about me. I promise that wasn't my intention. Hell, I was so focused that I didn't even hear you. Clearly I need to sleep." She chuckled and Skye only smiled in amusement, patting her shoulder before forcing herself to stand up from the bench.

"You got this, Raelynn." Skye nodded to her once more before turning on her heel and walking away.

Raelynn watched her go. The last of her anxiety left with Skye as she walked out the gym. The blonde stood up, making her way to her room. She was quick to jump in the shower, allowing for herself to refresh and silently thanking Skye for numbing the pain of her knuckles. She got out, allowing her hair to fall at her shoulders as she quickly got ready for bed. She laid down, not expecting sleep to come to her so quickly. But it came to her so fast, that she didn't have time to reach over and text someone, telling them that she was falling asleep. Instead, they were going to have find out the hard and heartbreaking way.

 Instead, they were going to have find out the hard and heartbreaking way