Chapter thirty-one

3rd Person POV:

Wendy sat in the Wheeler's basement in her own little corner, looking at her past creations that Mike still had displayed in the basement. Wendy noticed that there wasn't as much dust on them as she expected, either Mike or Mike's mom was making sure they were still looking pretty years later.

"Wendy," Max called out, Wendy turned her head. Max held out a letter. "For you."

"Should I be concerned?" Wendy asked, slowly taking the letter.

"It's, um, a failsafe," Max said, trying not to seem anxious. "Just in case.."

Wendy gave Max a pointed look. "Vecna won't get you," Wendy said then sighed. "But fine, I'll entertain your idea for a day."

"Don't open it," Max said quickly, stopping Wendy from opening the letter. "Y-you don't read it until after."

"Well, thank god there won't be an 'after'," Wendy said, putting the letter next to her old dioramas. She stood up from her chair. "Now that Mike isn't here, I'm gonna snoop around his room to see if he still has my pen that I 'lost' last month. I know he has it, but he never lets me check."

Max couldn't help but snort as she watched Wendy go up the basement stairs.

"Hi, Mrs. Wheeler," Wendy waved to Mike's mom.

"Hello Wendy," Mike's mom smiled.

Wendy went up the stairs and found Mike's room. She quickly rummaged around his desk, seeing pens and pencils but not the one she was looking for.

"I know you have it here somewhere, Michael," Wendy muttered.

A knock at the door startled Wendy, causing her to stand up straight.

"Wendy, stop snooping," Dustin said. "We gotta get going."

"I'm not leaving until I find my special pen," Wendy said.

"Mike doesn't have your pen," Dustin said.

"How would you know?" Wendy furrowed her brows.

Dustin reached into his shirt pocket, holding up Wendy's pen, making her gasp.

"Because I have it," Dustin said with a teasing look.

"You-" Wendy ran after Dustin as he ran down the stairs and out the front door where everyone was waiting.

"You knew how much that pen mattered to me!" Wendy cried out, running after Dustin as he ran around the cars.

"Be careful!" Steve shouted.

"I couldn't help it!" Dustin laughed. "It writes so smoothly!"

Wendy gasped louder, halting her steps. "You used it!?"

"How could I not!?" Dustin asked, diving into Steve's car.

"You little-!" Wendy went to dive in after him but was stopped by Steve.

"Enough, both of you," Steve said, pushing a muttering and cursing Wendy into the front seat. "We got important things to do."

"Whatever," Wendy grumbled, sinking into her seat.

"Here, listen to your Elvis," Steve unlatched the glove compartment, revealing Wendy's walkman she put in there.

Wendy gratefully grabbed her walkman and put on the headphones, sighing as Elvis' melodious voice filled her ears, instantly giving her comfort.

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

Wendy didn't know when she fell asleep, or how long she was asleep for, but she was suddenly shaken awake by a screaming Dustin.