Chapter twenty-nine

3rd Person POV:

Wendy calmly biked to the park, where she was supposed to meet Max when a large van pulled out in front of her. Wendy's mind started to race.

"No," Wendy muttered, about to turn around, but the window slid down to reveal Jason Carver.

"Hey, you got a second?" Jason asked. He looked..not good.

"Depends," Wendy said, placing her foot on the ground to balance herself. "I got somewhere to be."

The sliding door of the van opened, and Lucas jumped out.

"I'll talk to her," Lucas said to his teammates.

"Do I even want to know what's going on?" Wendy asked, swinging her leg over her bike to stand next to it instead.

"We're, uh, we're looking for Eddie," Lucas said.

"The dude from Hellfire?" Wendy questioned.

"You know about Hellfire?" Jason asked, stepping out of the van.

"It's a club for playing Dungeons and Dragons," Wendy chuckled. "The only reason I didn't join it was because I didn't want to play without another friend of ours being there."

"That game is dangerous," Jason said, making Wendy look at him strangely.

"Uh.." Wendy looked at Lucas in question.

"I-it messes with your mind, it makes you think that the game you're playing is a reality," Jason continued.

"It's a game," Wendy said. "And I'm 100% sure that the people I know who play the game can differentiate between fantasy and reality. Lucas played with us-"

"Ahhh hahahaha," Lucas forced a laugh. "She means my little sister played, not me."

"Okay, someone tell me what's going on before I die of boredom!" Wendy demanded, irritated and confused.

"Wendy, it's Max, do you copy?"

Wendy held up a finger to Jason, silently telling him to wait as she grabbed her walkie-talkie from her backpack.

"Yes, I copy," Wendy said. "I know I'm late, I'm being held up."

"No, that's fine, I need you to meet me at Family Video," Max said. "Like, right now."

"Okay, I'll be there in five minutes," Wendy said then put her walkie-talkie back in her backpack.

"Lucas, after you're done with..whatever this is, I'll see you later," Wendy said as she mounted her bike.

"Wendy, this is important!" Lucas called out.

"How is Eddie and Hellfire important!?" Wendy called out as she biked away.

"Well-"

"Thought so! See ya!" Wendy called out.

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

Wendy sat on the counter of Family Video in between a standing Steve and Robin as Max recalled her morning. Chrissy Cunningham was found dead in Eddie Munson's trailer and now Eddie is nowhere to be found.

"I think Chrissy was there to buy drugs and maybe they both had a bad trip or something," Max said. "I saw him running out of his trailer, he looked freaked out, but something else happened last night too. The lights flickered in a way.."

"Oh god, no.." Wendy slumped her shoulders.

"I didn't question it at first because, well, we have a shitty trailer, but I saw Chrissy's body," Max continued. "It didn't look normal."