Chapter thirteen

3rd Person POV:

Wendy sat in Mr. Clarke's class when Dustin suddenly ran into the room in the middle of teaching.

"I am so sorry I'm late, it will never happen again," Dustin said quickly sitting in his seat. He quickly turned to the party to whisper and even did the same to Max at the back of the room. "A/V Club, after school."

"Dustin," Mr. Clarke got his attention.

"Yes, my lord?" Dustin asked.

"Open your textbook," Mr. Clarke said.

"Opening my textbook," Dustin said.

"To page 42," Mr. Clarke added.

"To page 42," Dustin echoed, turning to the right page.

"Good," Mr. Clarke nodded, then continued to teach.

"After school, A/V Club," Dustin repeated to Max in a whisper, the girl giving him an exaggerated thumbs up.

"Dustin, you're acting weird," Wendy whispered to him.

"Oh just wait till you see what I have, you're gonna eat your words," Dustin said quietly.

"I don't know what that means," Wendy gave him a bizarre look.

'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'

Everyone gathered around the small table in the A/V Club room, Dustin's proton pack in the middle of it. Dustin opened it and everyone peered inside. And the thing inside made Wendy cringe away.

"His name is D'Artagnan," Dustin said with a proud smile, gently picking up the slimy creature.

"Cute, right?" Dustin asked, looking at his friends.

"No.." Wendy said quietly.

"D'Artagnan?" Mike asked.

"Dart for short," Dustin answered.

"And he was in your..trash..?" Max asked.

"Forging for food," Dustin looked at her. "Wanna hold him?"

"No. No," Max shook her head quickly but Dustin put Dart in her hands anyways, saying he doesn't bite.

"Oh God, he's slimy!" Max said, quickly passing Dart to Lucas.

"Ugh, he's like a living booger!" Lucas said, passing it to Will.

"Ugh, ew, god!" Will cringed, passing Dart to Mike.

Wendy backed up so she was against the wall, not intending on holding Dart. If Mike wasn't so confused and concerned about what Dart was, he would've chased Wendy around the room with Dart in his hands.

"What is he?" Mike asked, looking at Dart more closely.

"My question exactly," Dustin smiled at Dart.

Dustin put a bunch of books on the table, Wendy looking at them curiously.

"At first, I thought he was some type of pollywog," Dustin said.

"Pollywog?" Max asked in confusion.

"Another word for tadpole," Wendy explained quickly, motioning Dustin to continue.

"Most tadpoles are aquatic," Dustin said, opening one of the books to a page about tadpoles. "Well, Dart, he isn't. He doesn't need water."

"Yeah, but, aren't there non-aquatic pollywogs?" Lucas asked.