Morning run

" Keyra you're a witch." Mali's voice was serious, and her eyes glared at me. Even with all that just happened, the monster, both the dragon and Mali. Still I started laughing.

" I didn't know until I drank from you the night we meet." I smiled at her, thinking about my gun. It's a registered weapon don't bullets leave some kind of clue. I was going to jail.

Mali's voice was a blur as it cleared, I heard. "The blood of your kind offers us the chance to walk in daylight hours. But permission must be given by the witch. I always ask permission, so this was no different for me." Flashes of her whispering in my ear.

"from innocents so asking you was no different." She finished up.

The morning I left I had to. It was a good reason. The sun. A sight which I have not seen in 100 years."

"Wait, so that we are clear. So that you and I are on the same page you are saying you are a real-life vampire, and you bite me?"

Mali stood up and put her hands in her pockets. "Yes, but not to kill you, to turn you." She started pacing as I glared at her. "You were attractive, and I wanted you and saw that the club was the perfect time. As you flowed into me I knew what you were and so I only took a little and when you slept I left."

"What was that thing and why did it attack me? How does it know? "

" If I'm not mistaken it's a dragon. He is transforming either from dragon to man or man to dragon. Your flesh would help that transition move significantly faster their change takes years."

"So you all want to eat me? You the blood? him the body? " My gun inched at my side. How did he know about me?" I said sipping the tea then letting my hand rest near the weapon.

"I fear I was seen in the daylight hours." She looked like she wanted to say more but went silent.

It was 3:30 in the morning. "Can that thing move in daylight?"

"Yes" Mali replied.

I started to tremble again. I had about three hours before daylight.

"Tell me what I need to know when I leave here." I demanded.

"It can't come on my property no one or nothing can cross my line. It will be a while before it heals anyway. I know more about dragon then witches. They hold a large reserve of energy. But they are scared to tap into it. One day I will tell you the lore."

I rolled my eyes I didn't care about my would-be killer.

"I have work in the morning. The new hire is coming, and they are giving me an offer letter."

Mali inhaled big. "I got you into this when it's over you will have more than enough to start your own company but returning to your job. I don't know about that."

A spark of anger rose in me. Faintly my grandmothers' words played back. "Now you will have to make a deal with that thing."

I stop breathing for a moment. All that I had done, the place that I made for myself.

"What do you mean when you say I'm a witch?"

Mali licked her lips. Everyone has a little magic in them witches have significantly more. I don't know what makes you one. It usually runs in the family."

"Have you met any other witches?" I asked.

" Yes, none I trust."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I whispered. All the questions she didn't answer came to mind.