Let me In

Mali's eyes glowed in the softly lit restaurant

Mali's eyes glowed in the softly lit restaurant. When she took her eyes off me our break in contact knocked me off balance. Mali didn't miss a beat as she started to ordered drinks and appetizer's that didn't sound familiar. I never been one to let others order for me. A little something pulled at me to correct the situation, but she had asked for a steak and that was my main want. 

"She'll have a Blue 10 oz ribeye." She announced. Then continued to name a wine I could not pronounce.

" I have a wine for you to try. It's a bright red and makes the blood warm." Mali smiled as she spoke. Her smile coupled with eye contact effected the vibrations in the room. Everything vivid. Mali shown the brightest almost like a different texture from everything around her. It must have been my imagination. The normal texture of reality returned and so did my racing thoughts.

I took the moment to consider my money limits then decided to give up any thoughts of calculating the bill. It was my fault for picking out this place. Mali was worth it. I would pay with my credit card and worry tomorrow.

"I don't usually drink wine" I blurted out.

She frowned and it was heart breaking.

"But I like new experiences." I said with a smile.

Mali replied "I Have new experiences to offer you." And she went from a frown to a smile, the mischievous kind, that sent shivers through me.

"What kind of work do you do?" I asked. Forcing myself to break eye contact.

"I'm in the middle of starting my own organization. If it works out it will govern operations in this area for a bigger organization. There are certain standards that must be meet and the morning I left. An opportunity presented itself was sudden and unique."

The wine served chilled, the scent came first claiming all my attention. I sipped and the liquid traveled through me light and warmth on a sunny day.

"What about you do for work?" Mali asked.

"I work in Tech. Patch work programming at a private company. Let me know if you need a consultant for your organization." I said without thinking. I still wasn't sure what her job was and didn't want to ask again.

Chit chat went on as I drank the wine. Mali sipped in such tiny draws I questioned if she was even drinking the stuff. We talked about the changes happening in Los Angeles and I tried not to talk about the wealthy and their role.

The steak came in looking almost raw. It was thick and seared. I could smell every herb added to it. The fat and blood gave it the most flavor. Not one word passed between us as I devoured the bloody thing. Mali watched me eat intensely but that did not slow me. She didn't touch her salad

"Tell me about your mother." Mali said after the food was gone and enough quiet passed.

The command in her voice gave me a small irritation.