At His (Final) Wedding

angst
themes of cheating in past relationships and denial in sexuality/heteronormativity

Wilson PoV

Julie and I finish our first dance, my hands on her laced hips, accentuated by the figure of her dress. We part with a soft kiss, a wave of applause making us smile at one another. 

"What do we do now?" I ask, a smirk on my face as I look down into her soft eyes.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I want a drink and a dance with my girls," She says teasingly. "You should go hang out with Greg, seeming that he's actually here and... calm?"

House. Right. Julie always made sure she never left her best friend(s) during our engagement and our marriage, so in turn, she made sure I spent a lot of time with House, considering he's my only best friend. Which right now, probably isn't the best idea. House and I have become... complicated. 

Over time, we began to feel lonely, or whatever single 30 year olds feel. We even began to... mess around. At work, at his apartment, and at mine too. Well, whenever Bonnie wasn't home. That was the main thing. Our relationship probably would've flourished if it wasn't for the fact that I was still married to Bonnie. We peaked once I was divorced, some would even say 'in love'. So when I ended up dating Julie, I think I saw the gates of hell for the first time. That's how badly he took it. It wasn't pretty, and it was all my fault.

Anyway.

I gather my thoughts, now sitting alone in a booth, drinking something fancy that Julie gave me before kissing me on the cheek and leaving me to collect my own thoughts.

My eyes drift across the venue. It was a large, romantic bar that took a hefty swing at my wallet when I reserved it. Guests were smiling and having fun, as they should. Yet, here I am, the groom, sitting along in a corner drinking god knows what. Although, after half an hour, my beautiful wife toddles over with someone behind her.

"Hey! What did I tell you? Stop moping in the corner and go have fun with Greg! I don't want to leave you here alone. It's our wedding day, damnit, go enjoy yourself." Julie chastises, het hands on her hips expectantly.

"Julie, I don't think that's..." The figure behind her gets pulled into my vision, causing me to sit up stiff. "Greg?" 

He stood there, clutching his cane, his jaw clenched with regret. I know that posture. He wants to leave, go home, and get so drunk that he can't remember anything from the past week, never mind tonight. I dont blame him, though, I would too if I were him. 

"So, go on," Julie pushes him towards me. "Go dance or something."

Julie leaves pretty quickly, leaving him and I alone, and I open my mouth to say the usual 'thanks for coming', but he gets to it faster than I do.

"Save it," He grabbed my arm, pulling me up. "You heard the woman. Wouldn't want marriage troubles within the first few hours."

About to object, House pulled me onto the floor, where other people stood, also dancing to the usual love tracks played at a wedding. I feel him arm around my waist, the other still on his cane by his side. 

"I guess I should put these around your neck if you're going for the masculine role." I say jokingly, trying to lighten the mood.